AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised that the Sx21 had an aspect ratio and 4:3 or 16:9 but not letter box and because many DVDs and television shows are in letter box, this is a major deficiency. Is this true?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The SX21 has a 4:3 aspect ratio.....

You seem a little confused on how AR's work.... The SX21 can display 16:9 material 'letterboxed' inside its 4:3 panel... I seem to remember (but dont guarantee) that it will also allow you to move the 16:9 panel around inside the 4:3 for perfect screen placement (a handy feature) and will pillarbox 4:3 content inside that 16:9 frame...

When you have a display device there are always compromises as we are living in a world that has many AR's in its material.... Personally I would never have a 4:3 screen but quite happily have 4:3 projectors and either use a lens to optically compress or allow the overspill... The reason I kind of like 4:3 and optical compression is A) I already have the lens B) you gain vertical resolution and arguably some brightness C) I like big screen gaming and so 4:3 computer reolutions give me no problems....

There are many trade offs and considerations....

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The SX-21 is a 4:3 projector with 1400x1050 resolution. In the absence of an anamorphic lens, it will display 16:9 material with a resolution of 1400x787. If used with a 16:9 screen, then 4:3 material would be displayed at a resolution of 1049x787. I have not checked out the zoom range on the projector, but it may be possible to zoom the image to a smaller size and set the projector back to 4:3 mode to display 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen in its native resolution of 1400x1050.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Hello... My name is Phreddy and I am an AVS'aholic...

·
Registered
755 Posts
I think Jepmail is referring to letterboxed (non-anamorphic) 16:9 DVD's, in which case he is right. With standard DVD players the SX-21 would see these as 4:3 so the image would appear window boxed (black bars on all sides).

If you use an HTPC or external scaler you can do a zoom to fill the screen, so I wouldn't consider this to be a deal-killer for the SX-21.

Cheers,

Dave.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does this mean, you need to get a external scaler and anamorphic lens to see letter box sufficiently on the sx21. My dealer has recommended that I get an Infocus 7200 or commit the additional $4,000 for the external scaler and $1,800 for the anamorphic lens in order to use the SX21 on a 16:9 screen. Is he right? Without the external scalers, my dealer says the picture will appear distorted.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Jepmail,

There is no need to buy an external scaler to use the SX21 on a 16:9 screen. Just tell the projector via menu settings that you are using it on a 16:9 screen and it will take 4:3 material and scale it to fit within the available height of the screen (pillar box). This includes both video sources and computer sources.

If you have letterboxed material coming in that is not anamorphically stretched then you have a couple options...normally it will be very small, fitting within the compressed 4:3 window...not a good thing. You can go to the menu and tell the projector you are using it on a 4:3 screen and it will revert to showing the material full height and width...this will then fill your screen or almost fill it vertically depending on whether the material is 1.77, 1.85 or 2.35 format.

ScottB is correct in the effective resolutions you will end up with in the different modes.

Find a dealer who know's what he/she is talking about...

Cheers,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is the reply to the post from Tom Stites from my dealer:

Yes, you don't need a scaler to operate the JVC DILA porjector we've seen(with nads on experience), the 150, wth a 16:9 screen but you CANNOT show LETTERBOX material on it as it deosn't give that aspect choice.

With a scaler it will. You don't need the anamorphic lens either,unless you want to take full advantage of all the pixels on their 4:3 chip when usig a 16:9 screen.

Other technical staffers at JVC have confirmed this (on the 150 projector) as we did with hands on using the JVC 150 projector. I can address this topic with Mr. Stites and his staff to find the real truth. His suggestion about watching non-anamorphic "letterbox" material and having to go to the menu, tell the projector 4:3 is something that would be unacceptable for most of our clients to do. Once you set "screen size" menus ina projector, you don't want to change that. This would be a serious design limitation in their projector.

I quite disappointed that Mr. Stites is doubting our knowledge of a product we and few others, (as I have been told) have not yet had hands on experience with.

PS: my dealer also received confirmation that the SX21 is incompatible at this time with the RCA HD satellite receiver which I have.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Jepmail,

Nads on experience...that's really getting personal with your equipment!

I beg to differ with whoever you might have talked to but I have a 150 here and it does indeed work, as will the SX21.

The fact is, any projector (or scaler for that matter) that gives you the option of showing 4:3 material on a 16:9 screen in "pillar box" mode, fitting within the available height of the 16:9 screen is going to have to be switched to another mode to show letterbox mode material at the full screen width. I believe that you can even stretch 4:3 to 16:9 if you want to trash the aspect ratio of the 4:3 material.

Changing screen mode from 16:9 to 4:3 is no different than selecting "letterbox" mode on another projector, the end result is the same. Please tell me how this is any more complicated to program into a control system or to explain to an end user how to operate.

If you or your dealer need a step by step run through on how to do this, let me know...I'm at your service.

As to being disappointed in my doubting your knowledge of the product, it is precisely because you and your dealer have had so little experience with the product that I doubt your knowledge.

Early compatibility issues with RCA Sat receivers have been resolved in current 150CL's and I do not expect any problems with the SX21 when it ships. Additionally, the DVI on the SX21 will support full res, 1400x1050 in the shipping version.

Cheers,

·
Registered
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tstites

I beg to differ with whoever you might have talked to but I have a 150 here and it does indeed work, as will the SX21.
Tom,

So now that you have a G150 again, could you answer my old question of how to get access to the G150's native resolution? Everyone at JVC claims this is easy (see the CA SX-21/G150 demo thread from about a week ago) but no one ever tells how to actually do it!

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
774 Posts
Peter,

I knew this was coming...have to get a new graphics card with DVI, maybe I'll pick one up while I'm in NYC next week or order one online and have it waiting when I return.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Tom,

I don't have DVI cabling installed - I'm just interested in being able to use the full panel with 1365 (or 1360) x 1024 to the analog PC/RGB inputs. No need to wait on that graphics card!

Thanks,

Peter

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Tom... We know you love your products but thats getting rediculous :D !!!

Also heres one I have not seen asked... If the SX21 is being used with an anamorphic lens... You can full mode 16:9 and probably stretch letterbox also ( ?? ) but will it pillarbox 4:3 natively ??? Will it handle stretching HD material ???

Of course for all us HTPC and scaler crowd thats moot (but how many scalers do 1400x1050) but I was curious for those that may not want to go this route...

Thinking about this as I write I would hazard a guess that there are not too many anamorphic lens owners that dont do outboard scaling anyway so we are talking a tiny tiny % but still....

·
Registered
774 Posts
Phreddy,

Hey, wasn't me with the nads on experience, it was Jepmail...

That's a good question that you pose...as usual!

Giving it a quick thought, I don't think there is a practical way to compress the width of 4:3 material in the projector so that it would have the correct aspect ratio when projected with an anamorphic lens.

HD and anamorphic will be fine of course but 4:3 and letterbox would have problems. Would have to do it with a scaler or HTPC. I think you'll see quite a few scalers support 1400x1050 resolution in the near future.

Cheers,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.