AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm not a newbie to computers, just a newbie when it comes to HPTC.

I just got a Mits. 55411 and I am having some trouble getting my DVDs and DivX movies to playback and take up the full screen. I know that the TV is 1.78:1, so movies in that ratio should fill the whole screen. Problem is that I'm still getting bars on the top and bottom. I have installed Powerstrip and set it to 720x480p. The desktop fits the screen and it looks good. I tried several players and they all exhibit the same problem. Is there some other piece of software I should be using? I've heard of Dscaler, but I don't know what it is or what it does. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Hi Beefcake,

Here we go:

"I know that the TV is 1.78:1, so movies in that ratio should fill the whole screen. Problem is that I'm still getting bars on the top and bottom."

Anamorphic OAR (original aspect ratio) movies of 1.78:1 will fill the entire screen. Problem is, not many movies have OAR of 1.78:1. Typically, movies are 1.85:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1. Ben-Hur is 2.76:1. 1.85:1 movies will have very small bars on the top and bottom (maybe not even noticeable). Higher ratios mean bigger bars. This is simply the difference between your screen and the movie's aspect ratio. Chances are you are testing with a 2.20:1 or higher movie. Certain dvd players/software will let you zoom the image and cut off the sides of the movie. This will fill the screen although I don't understand why you would do that.

Non-anamophic (not 'enhanced for 16x9 tvs') are formatted for 4x3 standard def. TVs. A non-anamorphic widescreen dvd will have bars on all 4 sides. This is where the zoom feature comes into play. Fortunately these days it seems that all/most widescreen releases are anamorphic.

"I have installed Powerstrip and set it to 720x480p."

I would recommend trying the 848x480 powerstrip resolution. True 16x9.

"I've heard of Dscaler, but I don't know what it is or what it does."

Dscaler scales external interlaced signals (tv, vcr, dvd stb, etc.). This has nothing to do with your dvd situation.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks bob. Lots of great info there.

As a side note, I did make sure that I was using a 1.78:1 ratio movie. All I needed to do was change the resolution from 720x480 to 848x480 as you suggested and all my problems went away. Thanks again.

Now I can go hook up my stereo and watch a movie!!!

-Beef

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.