AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall when I was searching for a plasma television I would bring along a copy of "Die Another Day" for testing purposes, and could swear that on some monitors the black bars appeared much large than on others even though I was using the same 2:35 to 1 DVD. The sales people denied any difference.

Well, my Philips DVDR80 DVD Player/Recorder just gave out, and I replaced it today (8-14) with my bedroom DVD Player, the JVC XV-S502. Not only does the picture look worse (using progressive mode in both players), but the black bars are much larger with the JVC model.

I assume it has something to do with the settings or set-up in the DVD player, but I no longer have the owner's manual for the DVD player, and can not find any menu for aspect ratio.

But even if I found such a menu, what would be the selection choice that would result in the larger black bars with the JVC as it is playing now? I would think if I selected 4:3 I would receive the traditional black bars on the side, and if I selected widescreen or 16:9, I would get the standard bars on the top and bottom for 2:35 to 1 movies (I also get smaller horizonal black bars with 1:85 to 1 on the JVC when the picture should fill up the whole screen).

Appreciate anyone with knowledge of issue to tell me what setting my JVC is in currently and what setting it needs to be in. In the meantime, I'll try to find the setup menu, or search the net for an owner's manual. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Since your questions have more to do with DVD PLAYERS you might want to also post it in the DVD Player forum as well. Sorry I can't help with the answer as I only have a 4:3 set right now.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Just found the menu option. Turns out it was set to 4:3 which apparently results in widescreen playback of 16:9 film but at a distorted aspect ratio.

·
Registered
615 Posts
if the progressive picture looks worse, output a 480i instead. I had to do this on my hitachi. I guess its scaler didn't like the 480p signal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.