AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I own an Asrock 330 (overclocked at 2.1Ghz) running Windows XP Professional x86. It is currently hooked up to a 42" 1080P TV @ 1600x900 via an HDMI cable.

I have installed the Windows XP codec pack to allow WMP 11 to play .MKV files. However, 1080p files lag. I have read reviews that this machine plays 1080p flawlessly when GPU acceleration is used. I don't see why it can't run it... ideas? Does anyone have specific drivers / players / codecs to use?

Sorry, I don't know how to check how the movies are encoded... if you guys can list steps, I can find out.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrycu /forum/post/18183239

Version: 6.14.11.9038

Date: 14.07.2009

Well, first things first, update that driver and see if that helps, that driver is quite a few revisions behind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyc /forum/post/18186525

You need to get coreavc, its built for cuda gpus like yours.

According to the install, "the icon will go green if CUDA enabled decoding is in use". It never went green, did a fresh install of Windows 7.

Computer is now running: Windows 7 Professional x86.

Latest Nvidia drivers

No special codecs / players / offloading software.

Someone please walk me through what you did, so I can attempt to recreate the same affect.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You might want to give the Shark codecs a try to help with WMP playback of MKVs, it's the easier way to do it or MPC-HC has everything you need to playback any file.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyckz /forum/post/18187709

You might want to give the Shark codecs a try to help with WMP playback of MKVs, it's the easier way to do it or MPC-HC has everything you need to playback any file.

Please note: this is not just about FILE playback... it's about 1080P on the Ion system lagging, and how to avoid the lag.

·
Registered
379 Posts
In order for you to playback any video content with DXVA, you got to have the codecs optimized to take advantage of hardware acceleration. Be it (1080p/1080i/720p) etc, with Shark's codec pack you'll have what you need to playback the HD content within WMP, that's why it was suggested.

The ION chipset of the ASrock 330 can handle just about anything with the right codecs, considering the limitations of the Atom cpu, most of the video processing should be offloaded to the iGPU by using DXVA optimized codecs therefore eliminating the lag you're experiencing when viewing HD content.

Regarding MPC-HC, it's a highly customizable player that has it's own set of codecs to playback any kind of DXVA HD content (H264/AVC/VC-1) or any other video files (quicktime, flv, rmbv, iso, etc,) in one player.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyckz /forum/post/18188030

In order for you to playback any video content with DXVA, you got to have the codecs optimized to take advantage of hardware acceleration. Be it (1080p/1080i/720p) etc, with Shark's codec pack you'll have what you need to playback the HD content within WMP, that's why it was suggested.

The ION chipset of the ASrock 330 can handle just about anything with the right codecs, considering the limitations of the Atom cpu, most of the video processing should be offloaded to the iGPU by using DXVA optimized codecs therefore eliminating the lag you're experiencing when viewing HD content.

Regarding MPC-HC, it's a highly customizable player that has it's own set of codecs to playback any kind of DXVA HD content (H264/AVC/VC-1) or any other video files (quicktime, flv, rmbv, iso, etc,) in one player.

How can I tell the encoding format?

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can use mediainfo to get a detailed description of the audio/video codecs used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts