Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All 45TX Owners!

Recently, I tried to assign the digital coax output from a new Samsung SIR-TS160 HD-STB to one of the digital-coax audio inputs on my Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX receiver.

I thought I could set each of the four assignable digital audio inputs to whatever I wished in terms of input-configuration, but I soon learned you cannot have the same source-type assigned to more than one digital input.

For instance, I cannot assign DVD/LD to the first and third digital input (1st and 2nd are optical, 3rd and 4th are coax). If I attempt to assign DVD/LD to input #3 (coax) when previously input #1 (optical) was assigned DVD/LD, input #1 now goes to the off position.

I guess Pioneer never thought users would have more than one instance of a given type of multichannel source. Am I doing something wrong? Is MD considered a stereo or multichannel source?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think Pioneer thought there's no reason to connect both the optical and coaxial cables from the same source. If by MD you mean MiniDisc then yes that is only stereo unless you were to record a DTS or DD soundtrack on it if thats even possible.

Daniel Smith

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel, I'm still a little confused. Why then offer VCR1 and VCR2? Pioneer must recognize that there are occasions in which a consumer has more than one instance of a source-type, but this seems more like a condition in which the receiver can only handle a very limited number of multichannel sources.

It would have nice to not have predefined source-types and allow the user to simply a) select between stereo/multichannel, and b) label the source on that Input. Labeling the sources in general is possible, but not labeling the digital audio inputs.

As of right now, since I am using both optical-digital inputs for multichannel sources the remaining two rear-panel digital audio inputs 'must' be used for stereo-only, which sucks big-time. Is it like this on the 47/49 or the 43/45 replacements?

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
WanMan -

The memo at the bottom of page 91 of your 45TX manual describes the

digital input assignment conditions just as you stated. The memo at the

bottom of page 93 of my 49TXi manual describes the same conditions for

the 49TXi.

Why wouldn't you simply assign the input you want to use as a VCR input,

but connect whatever you want (not a VCR) to it? Am I missing something?

On my 49TXi I have some equipment connected to inputs other than what

Pioneer had pre-defined, and everything works fine.

Dave

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave, if I assign Digital Input #3 (coax) to VCR and connect my HD-STB to it I am concerned that this input will process in only 2-channel (stereo) mode and not in multichannel (5.1) mode. I am under the impression that VCR1, VCR2, CD, CD-R [and maybe even MD] are all 2-channel (stereo) processing-only, and not allow for multichannel processing.

No, I have not tested this yet, but this did bring up a point. If all of these inputs are capable of multi-channel processing, why force the user to select a source-type, and why prohibit multiple instances of DVD/LD and TV/SAT?

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
WanMan -

I am using a VCR digital input on my 49TXi for something other than a VCR.

Offhand, I don't remember what is connected to it (a 2-ch or multi-ch device).

I'll try to check tonight.

I had previously assumed that since the inputs are labeled (silkscreened)

on the back of the 49TXi as "VCR 1", "Sat", etc. , the assignment was to

simply to match a physical connection (by name) to a logical input number

(Digital 1, etc.).

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nevermind. I just made the physical coax connection between the HD-STB and the 45TX using digital input #3. I assigned that input to MD (front panel reads MD/Tape2) and selected that input on the remote after assigning it.

I'm getting multi-channel audio from the HD-STB on the MD input. I made sure to disconnect the optical cable that went to the receiver's optical input on the front panel (video).

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
This is very good information to know, as I have run into some of the same issues on my 45TX. Thanks for posting this information and testing results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.