AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am unsure where to post this, and I am totally stuck with the problem I'm having.

Here's the equipment in question:

Sony VPL-HW10 Projector

Sony Playstation 3

Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH

The PS3 is connected via HDMI to the HDMI 1 input on the Pioneer Reciever. The Receiver's HDMI output goes into the HDMI 1 input on the projector.

The Receiver is setup using the MDACC calibration.

The problem occurs when playing various Blu-Ray discs and DVD's through the PS3. Without reason, the Pioneer Elite receiver will suddenly shut off, like it gets overloaded or something. It isn't clipping from overloading the amplifier being played too loud, the Receiver just completely shuts off without warning and without error.

When I do find a point in a movie where it happens, it happens consistently in that spot, so I can rewind it and carry on.

At first, I thought there was a bug in the PS3's dialogue option (where it makes dialogue at low volume easier to hear). I also thought it might be poor cables or the specific input on the receiver. None of these things are the root cause.

I have a Sony upconverting DVD player connected to the HDMI 2 input, and I have no problems playing discs through it. The problem only occurs when playback occurs through the PS3.

My guess is the PS3 is sending some strange signal at some points during playback, and that signal causes the receiver to shut off. The problem is, I have NO idea where to go from here or how I can further diagnose the problem.

This is a major issue for me becuase it makes my PS3 unusable at the least, and makes it impossible to play Blu-ray discs through the system.

Any suggestions in further diagnosing the problem are greatly appreciated. I am simply out of ideas as to what's going on. It is depressing after putting in all this effort to run into a seemingly phantom, but consistent problem.

Thanks in advance,

D

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I figured out what my problem is. I have a speaker which has a short in it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.