Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

My brother was recently sent to Baghdad (to Camp Victory) and is already missing his favorite TV shows and DVD movies. He brought a portable DVD player with him but only has a few DVDs to watch.

I want to get a DVD recorder so I can record his favorite TV shows and send the DVDs to him. I already have DirecTivo so I just want a DVD recorder to hook up to the DirecTivo and record from there. I have read a few reviews on this site of the various models that are available but I can't make up my mind. I have about $500 to $550 that I want to spend.

I was looking at the Philips DVDR75 but I have read its a bit dark on recordings. Are the Panasonic E50 or E60 any good? I'm not sure I would need the hard drive capability that the E80 offers. I also want to make sure his portable DVD player can read the media so I want a recorder that has DVD-R capability as well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The best advantage I can think of for the E80's harddrive is to CHOP OUT THOSE DURN COMMERCIALS and you could put 3 1hr shows on a disc instead of just 2.

other than that, the E60 (for your purpose) would work just fine (I would still get the E80 and plan for the future).

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
the E50 should also work. I think you can pick them up online for about $350. I would also recommend the E80 (about $515 online) to chop out the commercials. I have fit 3 43 minute TV shows (1 hour with commercials) on a DVD-R with no problems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, this is probably a stupid question but I'll ask anyway.

I also have a Samsung DLP coupled with a Samsung TS-160 (the DirecTivo is in our family room while the DLP is in a dedicated "television room"). Since the E80 has a hard drive, would it be possible to hook it up to the TS-160 and use the E80 as a "tivo-like" device? Could I record video from the TS-160 to the E80 and then burn to DVD? What would happen when recording HD programming from the TS-160 to the E80, and subsequently burning that to DVD? I'm guessing the data would be stored in SD format or not be able to be recorded at all.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Firstly, I would definately go witha recorder that has a Hard disk in it, so you can cut out the commercials and squeeze more on one DVD, with a small portable DVD player you can probably also get away with a lower recording bit rate , so you can squeeze even more on one DVD.

You should either go with E80 panasonic or the pioneer 510 at this moment, those are the best ones, I think most people agree on at this forum.

With both you can record from external sources, so recoding from your samsung should be no problem, I think.. I record from VCD player and VHS tape recorder and from TV ....... Even you can record directly from DV cam..

Nice for you brother to see some home movies I recon as well..

Cheers,

erick

·
Banned
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kacang

Firstly, I would definately go witha recorder that has a Hard disk in it, so you` can cut out the commercials and squeeze more on one DVD

This is one reason I DIDN'T need to spend the extra $$$ on a HD recorder. I can't think of a single TV show worth taking the time out to edit all the commericals out of it...zilch.

I just record to +RW, watch my show, ff the commercials, and then erase the disk for another day.

Or I use my Directivo to record movies and transfer them seamlessly to DVD+R. Picture quality is great since most movies are recorded on the 2 to 2.5 hour mode.

Works for me, may not fit your needs but a bunch of needless editing of TV isn't how I want to spend my time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.