AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to call SB's 800 number customer support line today, and said that I was a prospective new RTV buyer (which I am), but that I was very concerned about the concept of buying a device that could conceivably lose it's service/functionality in 5 days.

The rep immediately asked me if she could place me on hold for a minute, and she came back after a few. She said that the auction taking place on April 15th will in no way jeopardize the services obtained through the device, and that I "should not be at all concerned."

Now, of course, if she told me to be afraid, they'd lose the potential sale. But she said in absolutely no uncertain terms that the service would continue under new ownership after April 15th.

Has anyone else heard this?

Jordan

·
Registered
127 Posts
Today I decided to ask my dog if the ReplayTV service would continue after April 15th. He told me in absolute no uncertain terms that the service would continue under new ownership after April 15th...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Duh! The service will obviously continue with the new owners. The real question is will the costs change and will new features be added or existing features be removed? I'm confident that we will be able to get Guide data for a long, long time, it's the other "nicities" that I worry will be taken away (CA, show sharing, Zones, etc.) and it's the cost I'm worried about. What's to prevent the new owners from saying "Well, to make this purchase financially viable, and given the hard economic times, we will have to raise the monthly fee to $14.95 and charge Lifetime subscribers an extra $50.00. Could they do this?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Actually, if they wanted to charge an additional $50 for lifetime units to switch over and raised the price of monthlies, I don't think I'd have a problem with that.

Frankly, that seems like a reasonable thing to me. Of course, they could only charge 45xx + members, and legacy units would be immune. But yeah, I'd pay $50 more to have my lifetime stay that way.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is the sky falling yet?

Where's a chicKenLittle when you need one?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsf23
But she said in absolutely no uncertain terms that the service would continue under new ownership after April 15th.

Jordan
That's nice to hear... but WHAT did you expect them to say??? You don't really think they would say, "no, we are not sure what exactly is going to happen." Once they sell the ReplayTV unit, how can they possibly ensure the service will continue. They will NO LONGER be the owners.

The fact is most likely is that SB doesn't really know what is going to happen. It's a Bankruptcy auction which means the company really has to follow to court ordered auction. Right now it doesn't have alot of options. And after April 15th they probably will have no control over what happens to ReplayTV.

Yes there is a good chance that the service will continue after the auction but no one really knows for sure until the new owners make their intentions for the future of ReplayTV clear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just called an 800# psychic. She said I have nothing to worry about, my Showstopper will work for many years to come and I will be supplied with guide data.

I'm confident now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the logic of the new owner keeping the service running. This is just driving me nuts, because I had an opportunity to buy a 5040 for $150 today on a final sale, and passed on it because of the uncertainty.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jsf23
I decided to call SB's 800 number customer support line today, and said that I was a prospective new RTV buyer (which I am), but that I was very concerned about the concept of buying a device that could conceivably lose it's service/functionality in 5 days.

The rep immediately asked me if she could place me on hold for a minute, and she came back after a few. She said that the auction taking place on April 15th will in no way jeopardize the services obtained through the device, and that I "should not be at all concerned."

Now, of course, if she told me to be afraid, they'd lose the potential sale. But she said in absolutely no uncertain terms that the service would continue under new ownership after April 15th.

Has anyone else heard this?

Jordan
I'd go ahead and buy yourself a new RTV. If it turns out there's any problem with continued service after the auction, I'll promise to buy it from you real cheap. :)

Tim

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
lets not go around kicking sleeping dogs. The good Doctor has been really quiet doing these trying times. He could be really rubbing it in if he wanted to. Gloom & doom is fair game :D

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
For all we know, SONICblue could know for a fact that all prospective bidders have indicated the service will continue and she may just be passing that along. On the other hand it could be wishful thinking. I haven't checked in Vegas but I would bet on the service continuing if given even odds. I would say it is 3-1 in favor of continuation.

Chris

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lizard_boy
We should ask someone in authority, like Dr(very)Strange or Major(gloom&doom)Tom.
Why are you discriminating against brettstah??

·
Registered
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
Duh! The service will obviously continue with the new owners. The real question is will the costs change and will new features be added or existing features be removed?
Well.. then... if they do decide to remove things... I guess there will be a big market for ReplayTV black boxes to prevent such OS upgrades from happening.

Hmm.. where to get a bunch of cobalt cubes...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I called The Prez and he said America is going to liberate us from the

SonicBlue regime. America will return ReplayTV to the people who use

ReplayTV and let us govern ourselves. He emphasized they are not

just liberating us to get at our valuable guide service and CA is ours

to keep.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sfhub
I called The Prez and he said America is going to liberate us from the

SonicBlue regime. America will return ReplayTV to the people who use

ReplayTV and let us govern ourselves. He emphasized they are not

just liberating us to get at our valuable guide service and CA is ours

to keep.
Posted on the wrong forum.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kcobra
Today I decided to ask my dog if the ReplayTV service would continue after April 15th. He told me in absolute no uncertain terms that the service would continue under new ownership after April 15th...
Was this before or after he peed on your leg?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chanton
I just called an 800# psychic. She said I have nothing to worry about, my Showstopper will work for many years to come and I will be supplied with guide data.

I'm confident now.
Did she also pee on your leg?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.