AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to replace the motherboard and CPU in an old PC I have and try to turn it into a HTPC. I wanted to get the A7N8X Deluxe so I can have the Soundstorm digital out into my receiver. But, every picture I've seen of the board only shows 6 1/8" plugs for audio. I don't see any optical or coax digital. So, how does the SPDIF out work? Is it on a separate bracket or do you have to have some sort of converter for one of the little plugs or what?

However it works, it is included in A7N8X Deluxe box right? (and the non-deluxe doesn't support it, correct?)

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you're not hooked on the Asus, take a look at the AOpen AX4GE-MAX. It's got optical and coaxial SP/DIF in and out. It's for a P4, not an Athlon, however.

If you're stuck on getting the A7N8X (a nice board!), there is one coaxial SP/DIF out on the motherboard. Look next to the network connector on the back panel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not totally set on the Asus, I was just wanting the nforce2 chipset and Athlon because of the price and Soundstorm.

I'll take a look at the AOpen. So, does it do similar 5.1 encoding?

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The Nvidia chipset boards are the only ones that have the on-board DD 5.1 encoding, and they are all for AMD CPUs. I am looking at that same board. As Duplicator said, there is a coax digital output. The six analog outputs (front left/center/right, surround left/right, subwoofer) are on three 'stereo' (3-conductor) 1/8" jacks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Personally, I don't "trust" my on-board audio to do the encoding/decoding of the DD stream - I'm going to leave that up to my Yamaha rec'vr. So I just wanted to pass the connection out to the Yamaha via the TOSLink cable.

The NForce2 is definately a very nice chipset, but I chose an Intel chipset over it just because of the maturity of the chipset. But it was a hard call - I was seriously considering the same NForce2 board you're looking at now.

I wouldn't base my judgement on the board due to the Soundstrom, however. It's not *that* great !

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the A7N8X, and it does have a coaxel SPDIF output on the back. If you want SPDIF in, or TOSLINK, Newegg sells the connectors for $15.

The ABIT NF8 has a TOSLINK out.

Quote:
Personally, I don't "trust" my on-board audio to do the encoding/decoding of the DD stream
From everything I've heard, its primary purpose is for games, which it works pretty good for. Everything else, you are better off letting the receiver handle it.

I'm going with it because it does have the possibility in the future of passing stuff to the SPDIF without upsampling the audio. Right now, from everything I've heard, it still does the upsample. For the price, I think it will meet my needs, even if it does need better DACs.

Jason

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want it to do any decoding, I'm just wanting to have the output so I can hook it up to my receiver with out having to buy a sound card and get the 5.1 encoding for games (for DVD's and such I'll just do pass through).

But, I still haven't made up my mind yet. There are just WAY too many choices.

·
Registered
13 Posts
TheLongshot,

Since you have this board, do you know if you can output to both the SPDIF and the analog outputs simultaneously? I'd like to run the SPDIF into my receiver for movies and MP3s, but don't want to have to turn it

for regular PC use sounds by running the analog stereo out into my TVs

audio in.

Do you think it can do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm considering this Asus board too. The point is that you can use a single digital cable straight to your receiver. You won't believe the cleaner all-digital sound until you hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.