AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
This actually popped up on Newegg a few weeks ago, can't remember the price and it's been taken down, but I don't remember it being especially reasonable. Zotac has an ion 330 board without the powersupply as well, the problem I seem to keep noticing though is that a lot of the tiny power supplies that come with mini-itx cases are not powerful enough for a Atom 330 and the Ion Chipset.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I actually have spent about 60 hours in the last few days research my mini itx build.

I took a look at all that was out there for ITX power supplies and case. In the end for power source I went with the picoPSU-150-XT and 12.5A 150W switching AC-DC adapter at Short-circuit.com The power supply is all through a laptop type power brick and it is completely quite - no fans. The place even has free shipping over $125. I bought 4 of everything so I got the free shipping. Cheapest prices I could find on Google. For the case I went with M350 Universal Mini-ITX enclosure at the same site for $37. You can put up to two 2.5Inch hard drives inside. I am going with 1 solid state drive in one slot and in the other the bay I can put a quiet

Rasurbo Ultra Quiet 40x40x10mm Computer Case Fan which has 8 cfm at 19db from QuietPC.

I am probably going to go with a Zotac 9300 Geforce Intel board with a 65 watt socket 775 cpu. Read all I could on the 780G and 785G Itx boards and they don't measure up. I suppose I could wait for the 785G Itx that are supposedly coming soon but all the reviews shows the Geforce 9300 is a match or better. Last piece will be to find the quietest low profile socket 775 heatsink possible and a good set of low voltage 4GB DDR2 ram. I figured my build to be be $500 per unit. It could have been cheaper if I didn't go with the solid state drives.

I would highly recommend against the Atom cpu. I find a few people who have good luck with it but a lot more who have problems with stuttering video.

·
Registered
327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman7 /forum/post/16991337

I would highly recommend against the Atom cpu. I find a few people who have good luck with it but a lot more who have problems with stuttering video.

That's only an issue if you're running Windows (which doesn't support HW acceleration on the ION platform.) If you run (e.g.) XBMC on Linux, this board will run anything you can throw at it - and CPU utilization stays at ~20%.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama /forum/post/17739132

That's only an issue if you're running Windows (which doesn't support HW acceleration on the ION platform.) If you run (e.g.) XBMC on Linux, this board will run anything you can throw at it - and CPU utilization stays at ~20%.

W7 supports HA with the Ion Platform just not with XBMC (test builds of XBMC are incorporating HA in Windows though)

·
Registered
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama /forum/post/17739553

Great info. Thanks! I hope XBMC gets HA in W7 worked out soon. Right now I have to dual boot since I haven't yet found a good way to rip Blu-Rays in Linux.

Here is the thread on the DXVA being worked on with W7 in XBMC:

http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61355

You should have no problems getting HA in W7 if you use something like WMC + MediaBrowser or a 3rd party player like MPC-HC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts