AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just upgraded to an Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Slim with TMT3 with 7.1 bitstream enabled running a Vista 64 OS to an Onkyo 805. On regular dolby or dts movies I am getting sporadic dropouts. On DTS-HD 7.1 movies I get sporadic popping. I assume caused by the same issue.

I haven't seen too many of these issues on the boards. Any idea where to start? I used to have a Creative X-Fi card that I uninstalled only through the control panel and installed the Asus. Video is stll perfect and audio used to be perfect before the Asus. I am successfully streaming all formats. I have 4 GB of memory running about 60% utilized. Machine is a Dell XPS 700 Processor, 6700, 2.66, 4M, Core Duo-conroe with both procs running about 50-60% during the movie. Movies stored in Blu Ray folder format right now on USB hard drive.

Any suggestions to get rid of the audio issues? Are others seeing this issue?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure about the Onkyo 805 but my 705 needed a DSP upgrade. The 705 was plagued with the "DTS bomb" which can actually damage your speakers. You might want to look into it. There is an extensive discussion of the issue in the receivers section.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Not sure about 805. But I know for fact that some Onkyo needs to do the firmware update to take care that what they refer as "DTS bomb" problem. Your best bet is go to the 805 thread and see how to upgrade the firmware.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will have to verify when I get home, but the threads do mention up to 3 DSP firmware updates and a main flash up to ver 1.08. Might be something. Looking to see if it is just "The Bank Job" too that had issues or not. I watched all of Mr. and Mrs. Smith in 5.1 DTS-HDMA with absolutely no issues. Will try another 7.1 movie to see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts