AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be receiving this mobo tomorrow, but my case won't be here until monday. So I'm going to have to wait through the weekend before I can start building my htpc. I have some questions for the super smart computer wizards here. That includes just about everybody on this forums page.

Here is the mobo-
Asus M2N32 SLi deluxe wireless edition

So here are my basic questions.

1. This motherboard has a wireless antena, can I use it to receive data from my wireless router or can it only be used as a wireless router? If it can't receive from the router I already have then I won't install it and I will buy a wireless card for the computer.

2. What kind of onboard graphics can I expect from this card? I am thinking about getting the GTX8800 card since it is the best on the market right now, so it will be a month before I can get it. I am wondering what the mobo will offer with out anything until then.

3. Is the GTX8800 worth buying for a home theater application? I haven't seen a whole lot of articles or reviews about graphics cards that weren't specifically directed towards the gaming crowd. If a lower card would work I could probably buy it sooner.

4. Is a desktop configuration considered backwards atx? I was reading a review on this mobo, and the writer said that gravity had to be used to help the heatpipes cool the mother board. If that is the case, then I might be screwed with my case since the mobo will have to be installed horizontally in the one I bought.

I hope somebody can help me.

Thanks again

Adam

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the P5W-DH:

The WiFi can function as *either* a client or an access point.

There are no onboard graphics.

An 8800 is overkill for *just* HTPC duties...if it's gonna be a dual machine (SERIOUS gaming), then ok. Make sure the card will fit in your HTPC case...its L-O-N-G. Passive 7600GT's are the norm (least expensive full PureVideo support).

With proper airflow, it should cool fine (what case/fans are you using?).

P

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the silverstone lascala 10. It was super cheap.
Lascala 10

It has stock 60mm fans in the back and 1 80mm in the front. I was going to use these until I had reason to change them out.

I'm curious to see how loud they really are first. We have a server at work, and I can hear the fans from down the hall. If it is that loud I will definitely change them out for some that are less noisy.

I'm not a gamer but I want something that will drive home theater video. I don't know jack when it comes to this stuff. I will probably just buy a 7600GT since I didn't really want to spring out another 500 bucks on this beast. I just surpassed the $1000 mark when I bought my hard drives and RAM. Still need an optical drive and I think I'll be good.

What is the best way to boot up one of these motherboards. Do I need to get a 3.5"floppy drive or what? I saw it has flash but where do you start with that stuff?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.