AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its looking like I need to replace the motherboard (Asus P5BW-LA) for my HP m8010y media center PC mentioned here . I absolutely insist on choosing a motherboard that has the same connectors as the Asus P5BW-LA, to accommodate my case's front Realtek HD audio, USB, hotswap pull hout hard drive, firewire, 9 in 1 card reader custom inputs/slots. Could someone please suggest the best motherboard, CPU, RAM that will definitely accomodate my case and all the features?

PS: I dont want to replace my case.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah those prices are way too high. Especially when you can grab an i7 920 for $199 or a q8200 for $119 at microcenter.

Microcenter has great pricing for intel processors, look to newegg for amd processors and mobo's.

Generally any new mobo should be able to do the front ports you're looking to accomplish. Stick to asus or gigabyte

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Way to much for the CPU try here . You could search around for better price but since it's a quad prices will be high.

Kinda high for the motherboard but if its a New OEM board up to you.

Check out E-Bay they have quite a few Asus P5BW-LA for a third of that price.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 /forum/post/16984415

I see nothing fancy about the motherboard you're asking except the expension PCI slot, do you use it? If not may a P5K-PL or similar might be good.

Charles

He wants to keep the case. It would be hard to find a board with the exact rear I/O output panel shield layout, most OEM case's don't have removable I/O panel shields.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! You sure jumped on this quickly!

The only reason I was looking for such an old motherboard with respective CPU was because of my case's builtin 9in1 card reader, front USB inputs, audio mic/headphones inputs (mobo embedded realtek HD audio), firewire) and rear inputs.

Could someone please recommend a modern/popular intel based motherboard with respective CPU that I can simply plug in my case's I/O cables into the same kind of (easy to find?) motherboard connectors as the original mobo?

If it's not that simple, and I may run into issues, I guess I will have no choice but to buy an outdated motherboard/CPU. Because I'm really attached to the case I'm using.

Thanks again for the quick help! You guys are awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 /forum/post/16984415

I see nothing fancy about the motherboard you're asking except the expension PCI slot, do you use it? If not may a P5K-PL or similar might be good.

Charles

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16984492

He wants to keep the case. It would be hard to find a board with the exact rear I/O output panel shield layout, most OEM case's don't have removable I/O panel shields.

I'm not refering to the back I/O, talking about the PCI expension slot,

see it here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0748726&dlc=en

If he's not using it maybe this one can do it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131288

I don't know the case so I can't tell if the back I/O shield can be removed.

Charles

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using all my PCI slots except for the one closest to the edge of the motherboard. I'm not worried about spending an extra $100 on the motherboard. However, if I'm going to spend this kind of money, I would much prefer i7 quad core mobo which provides the same kind of connectors as my old one. What should I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesj123 /forum/post/16984539

I'm not refering to the back I/O, talking about the PCI expension slot,

see it here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...0748726&dlc=en

If he's not using it maybe this one can do it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131288

I don't know the case so I can't tell if the back I/O shield can be removed.

Charles

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont have the expertise, tools, nor motivation to do anything more than swapping out the motherboard and plugging in the connectors into the same (or similar plugs as before). So, am I stuck with using the original motherboard?

PS: Could you guys please recommend the best CPU grease and heatsink/fan and respective URL to buy? From what I've heard, all I have to do is put a pea/bee bee sized drop of the grease in the middle of the CPU and push the heatsink down on it (at least I hope this is all I have to do). Last time I tried this, I made a mess trying to smear it all over the top of the CPU LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16984619

If you don't mind doing a little fab work on the back panel. It looks like it is a mATX board so you could use one of these
boards . It does have a 1394a on board so it would connect to your front input cable, Realtek HD audio, USB headers.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, okay I thought that the back connectors are the same for ATXm/ATX mobos. Just what kind of modding is involved? Do you mean with soldering?

If I mod the mobo you suggested, would I be able to use the i7 950 CPU?

PS: I'm not sure if you (or someone else) knows the answer to this, but where can I buy a very good CPU heatsink/fan for my original CPU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16984691

That's the problem with OEM case's, the back panel is machined as one piece and to that certain I/O panel design. You need the OEM board if your not up to a little modding.

Artic silver

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One last question.. can someone please recommend the most quiet heatsink/fan for a q6700 CPU? Not something too giantic where it wont fit. I've been doing searches on google, but the only thing I found that was definitive is the original/stock heatsink/fan and this weird one which I have no idea will fit or not

1 - 16 of 16 Posts