AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot new Player from Asus. They seem to be really pushing this catagory at the moment. Looks sweet.

More info to Come, when specs are released

·
Registered
160 Posts
As i Have mentioned before the Big Companys no that Media players are entering the Mainstream IN 2010 and are now starting to Push there full weight behind them.. Asus third Media player will Announce this Fact in a number of ways..

T.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It's all about the User Interface.

If it doesn't have / can't be modded with an xmbc-like UI, then it's basically crap.

·
Registered
483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LN32B530 /forum/post/18244035

It's all about the User Interface.

If it doesn't have / can't be modded with an xmbc-like UI, then it's basically crap.

No, it is crap for you. Do not dare to speak for me.

And is is not "all about the User Interface". It IS all about the PQ, codec/container support and ease of use. XMBC is all about eye-candy and fluff.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derelict_Drvr /forum/post/18245361

No, it is crap for you. Do not dare to speak for me.

And is is not "all about the User Interface". It IS all about the PQ, codec/container support and ease of use. XMBC is all about eye-candy and fluff.

PQ and Codec/Container support is assumed to be there, these days almost all the streamers play everything. Ease of Use and a good UI goes hand in hand IMO.

·
Registered
160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkabir /forum/post/18246657

PQ and Codec/Container support is assumed to be there, these days almost all the streamers play everything. Ease of Use and a good UI goes hand in hand IMO.

I agree with what you say,i might also add it would be nice as the poster above mentions in having working Networking, File Support all the Basic functions working from the get go and actually having a player doing everything its promised to do..

from the very start..a Player that does that will empty some warehouses of stock i assure you of that.

Talas.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's all about on-demand content and let's hope this Asus joins that particular party.

Media Players so far have been very technical devices, requiring a knowledge of ripping, networking, and dare I say it **********, to be useful.

We are about to see a number of devices that will give the ordinary man on the street sofa what he wants, and that is the ability to turn the thing on and watch his favourite movie / TV show.

And, as Talas is clearly eagerly anticipating, such a device has the potential to fill up, empty (repeat x times) many warehouses.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that there is a lot of hype around on-demand video services in the US atm. But For Europeans and the rest of the world, There is little value for us in these US-only on-demand services like Hulu and Netflix. And since Media players are apparently selling faster in Europe than US, see Park associates study, one should only still consider specs, design of box and compatibility to be just as important atm.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From Park associates paper on sales of media players.

Syabas report that the market in Europe is larger than US for sales of their products.

Regarding the market for Popcorn Hour, the company sells 30% of its units in the U.S., approximately 60% in North Europe through retailer channels, and the rest around the world. Europe is an early adopter for the services, including video features

http://www.parksassociates.com/event..._final_web.pdf

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by halloweenboy /forum/post/19289709

it's out in the UK next week and in the US on Oct 25:

engadget.com/2010/10/04/asus-o-play-hd2-finally-launching-this-week

Anyone have any idea how this Asus box compares to the upcoming Netgear media streamer?

netgear.com/products/home/hometheater/media-players/NTV550.aspx

I thought the Netgear was the only one (under $300) capable of playing blu-ray iso files, but from what the Asus site indicates, this box does so as well?

My Patriot Box Office (PBO) plays ripped BR ISO from an attached 2 TB Hitachi drive but not from a remote networked connected drive.

It cost me $60 on sale at Fry's.

Go to the Patriot Memory site for info. There is a nice forum there as well.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The specs on this box (except for the USB 3.0 support) seem eerily similar to the TViX Slim S1 (only TrueHD support, no DTS-HD).

I believe this is also Realtek 1073DD / 1283 DD based.. Anyone has confirmation of which one is being used in this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts