Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is humiliating!

I have successfully built several PC's in the last year, but this one has me beat.

I have an Asus P4B266 with an Intel P4 2.0a ghz. I've swapped both the motherboard and the CPU, and it still doesn't work. When I plug it in, the green motherboard light comes on. I apply power, the CPU fan spins up, but there is no video and no 'beep' from the onboard speaker.

Once powered on, the power and reset buttons have no effect and I have to manually switch it off again.

What am I missing?

- yes, the CPU is in the right way!

- tried swapping the CPU, RAM DIMM and mobo for new ones with no change

- tried different AGP and PCI video cards to no effect

- it's a known good 300 watt PS, and I did plug in the special 12V P4 connector

- I haven't connected the IDE, floppy or anything except the essentials (power, reset, speaker) but surely that shouldn't affect me getting to a POST screen

This Asus motherboard is supposed to be able to tell you what is wrong even if it doesn't have RAM or a CPU, so this has me beat!

I did try powering the mobo without a CPU, and I got a beep-beep-beep tone so I know the damn speaker works!

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I discovered the 'Voice Reporter' isn't enabled by default.

When I enable it, I get 'System Failed Memory Test' over and over again. I tried it with no DIMM, and tried swapping two DIMM's in DDR slot 1 and 2.

I'm using a Kingston 512mb 266mhz PC2100 DDR SDRAM ECC DIMM.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I found the problem - these are 'registered' DIMMs (whatever the hell that means) and asus.com says:

Does P4B support registered SDRAM DIMM?

No, registered DIMM is not supported by Intel i845 chipset.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes, just put some ordinary non ECC DDR in there, and it should be OK. The registered feature normally goes along with Error Correcting memory. ECC memory is normally used in servers with lots of memory, and the registered feature allows more DIMMS to be used while meeting timing. But the timing is different to non-registered, so I guess your mobo doesn't support it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.