AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using the Asus P4PE mobo with SoundMax Digital Audio?? How is the performance of this motherboard and the SoudMax Digital Audio? How does it comepare to other popular Sound cards on the market?

Thanks!

WU-

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use this mobo and used the Soundmax sound for 6 months before I bought a Revo trying to get a decent analog solution for the whole sound issue. Well after much frustration I am using the Revo's digital connections. I believe that this allows me to not resample everything but on the sound front digital sounds like digital to me. I am using a Denon 3803 and some decent speakers I liked the sound from the P4PE and I like the sound from the Revo, not much difference to my uneducated but happy ears.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Disclaimer: I'm not a discerning audiophile. 24/96 sounds to me like a long work week. I care far more about dependability for DVD playback (as well as acceptable digital sound for DVD's).

That said, I will offer the following:

I have use a SoundBlaster Live 5.1, a SB Audigy and the S/PDIF on my ATI AIW 7500. All of these options had varying problems. The Live! sucked completely. The Audigy worked best, except only as a default waveout device (and the drivers crashed my computer several times resulting in system loss). The AIW's digital out is very flaky (sound dropouts, the digital sound NEVER worked for DVD's until after the root menu, etc.

The SoundMAXX is, by far, the simplest sound device I've had the pleasure to install and use. No problems, of any type whatsoever, to date.

The digital output is good enough that I'd never know the difference. For all I know, it sounds excellent.

Finally, there are two added pleasant surprises:

1. It outputs analog AND digital sound SIMULTANEOUSLY. I searched fruitlessly for a card that could do this: most need at least a toggle between digital and analog out in the mixer app. Some even require a reboot between the two.

2. It has both RCA and optical type digital out connectors.

I'm very impressed and pleased with this device.

·
Registered
192 Posts
pawn,

How is your Soundmax configured. I have the same Mobo and sound. I have the latest software for SoundMax installed. I also use Zoom Player with the Sonic Audio and Video filters.

I have the Soundmax software configed as follows:

Speakers: 5.1

Vitual Surround: off

SPDIF: AC3 and PCM checked.

Now when I use this setup it works fine. When I went to play a DTS DVD I had no sound. Had to start the DVD in Zoom Player, right click and go to the audio filters and set the SPDIF checkbox to enabled. Then great DTS! So I thought I was set.

Then I went to play Treasure Planet last night and my system would lock up everytime with Zoom Player. I finally went into ZP and right clicked and changed the audio filters back to uncheck the SPDIF enabled and got it working. Any thoughts ideas. I do not like the idea of having to change things back and forth between DVDs?

One other note: If you select the Stereo Speakers in the Soundmax software you can then check Vitual Surround On. When you change to 5.1 this option is grayed out, but if it was on before it seems to stay on and I get echo's out of my rear speakers constantly. If I set it to Stereo and turn off the Virtual Surround and then select 5.1 it seems to work fine. But the test button on the Soundmax only outputs sound to the front speakers?? maybe that is right as it is not decoding anything.

Just curious what your settings are and what you are playing DVDs with? Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have been using this mobo and the soundmax for about 3 weeks now. I run it out (optical) to my Zektor changer then to a monarchy audio 24/96 dip then to my avm-20 to decode. Sound is wonderful! DTS/DD all play fine. The only problem I have had is when I first start the PC and try to run the confidence trailer, no sound. I then open the option and uncheck/then check PCM hit apply and sound comes back. Never any problems w/TT for DD or DTS movies. Internet radio works great too.

FREAK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.