AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the weirdest problem and want to consult with the experts.

I recently put together a new HTPC using the new G35 mobo from ASUS. I flashed to latest bios and pulled the latest drivers from ASUS website. After that I did a fresh install of Vista Ultimate x86 and installed all the drivers. I then installed My Movies Client for VMC, however, it can't connect to my WHS that has MY Movies Server installed. It errors out saying that it must be behind a firewall. I have tried typing the hostname and IP address. I turned off all firewalls, I can ping the WHS server by IP and hostname, and I can access all content on the WHS through the network. Just to make sure there wasn't something wrong with the WHS box, I built up a throw-down box and it can connect to the MY Movies Server database on the WHS box! So figured I had a bad Vista install, so I re-installed it, but I hadthe same problem. I have re-installed Vista 3 times and I can't get this ONE box to connect to the My Movies database on my WHS.

Any one using a P5E-VM HDMI board to connect to a My Movies database located on another machine?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e /forum/post/12963670

Any one using a P5E-VM HDMI board to connect to a My Movies database located on another machine?

My Vista x86 machine connects fine to my Vista x64 MyMovies Server, same MB, not that it would appear to be the issue.

What is a WHS btw?

Adam

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e /forum/post/12967537

Sorry, Windows Home Server. What BIOS version are you running?

The latest, TBH I only updated because I thought I had a hardware issue a little while back (I didn't). I find in general it is not a good idea to update it unless there is a good reason

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just did the same install on mine. HTPC and WHS. What I found was that on WHS the firewall was enabled. I poked holes in the firewall using these exception rules:

http://www.mymovies.dk/documentation...onnection.aspx

Look under Firewalls section and make the exceptions noted.

You must also open up your firewall for connections to the SQL Server Express database server. With Windows Firewall, go to the Control Panel and select Windows Firewall. Press the "Exceptions" tab, and click "Add program...", locate the file "sqlservr.exe", by default located in "[Program Files]\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL.1\\MSSQL\\Binn\\", and then again click "Add program...", and locate the file sqlbrowser.exe, by default located in "[Program Files]\\Microsoft SQL Server\\90\\Shared\\sqlbrowser.exe".

I appologize if you are past this but this is troubleshooting 101---- ruling out the obvious.

It worked for me.

J

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellohj /forum/post/12968789

I just did the same install on mine. HTPC and WHS. What I found was that on WHS the firewall was enabled. I poked holes in the firewall using these exception rules:

http://www.mymovies.dk/documentation...onnection.aspx

Look under Firewalls section and make the exceptions noted.

You must also open up your firewall for connections to the SQL Server Express database server. With “Windows Firewall”, go to the “Control Panel” and select “Windows Firewall”. Press the "Exceptions" tab, and click "Add program...", locate the file "sqlservr.exe", by default located in "[Program Files]\\Microsoft SQL Server\\MSSQL.1\\MSSQL\\Binn\\", and then again click "Add program...", and locate the file sqlbrowser.exe, by default located in "[Program Files]\\Microsoft SQL Server\\90\\Shared\\sqlbrowser.exe".

I appologize if you are past this but this is troubleshooting 101---- ruling out the obvious.

It worked for me.

J

Thanks for the help, but I have it running on 3 other VMC HTPC's and it was running on this one until I replaced the Abit F190HD mobo with the Asus G35 mobo. Also, all firewalls are disabled. This has got to be the strangest thing I have ever come across. Tonight I am going to disable the Atheros gigabit adapter and install a Intel PRO gigabit server adapter I have laying around work. I know, it is a long shot, but at this time I will try anything.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, your not going to believe this but by disabling the onboard Atheros LAN adapter and installing an Intel Pro/1000 server adapter fixed the problem. I guess I will be calling ASUS tomorrow for an RMA.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e /forum/post/12974197

Well, your not going to believe this but by disabling the onboard Atheros LAN adapter and installing an Intel Pro/1000 server adapter fixed the problem. I guess I will be calling ASUS tomorrow for an RMA.

Have you tried various different drivers for the Atheros?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes /forum/post/12975486

Have you tried various different drivers for the Atheros?

I was only able to find two drivers. The one on the CD and the new one on ASUS website. I went to the Atheros website but couldn't find any drivers for anything other than wireless devices. I will see what ASUS has to say this morning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Windows Update actually has a newer driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by l2e /forum/post/12975998

I was only able to find two drivers. The one on the CD and the new one on ASUS website. I went to the Atheros website but couldn't find any drivers for anything other than wireless devices. I will see what ASUS has to say this morning.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayeah /forum/post/12976912

Windows Update actually has a newer driver

Tier 2 ASUS Support said if you have the P5e-VM HDMI mobo "DO NOT LET WINDOWS UPDATE INSTALL DRIVERS". He said they are broken and have caused ALOT of problems for this particular board.

I ran into another problem with this board. eSata refuses to work properly even when doing a fresh install with SATA set to AHCI in the BIOS. If the system is on and I insert my eSATA drive, Vista will not see it. If it is inserted before boot, then Vista sees it just fine. I have all the latest drivers but it still isn't working. I contacted ASUS about the issue and they said "Our board works, Microsoft is at fault" and told me to download some MS patch for SATA and it should work. Of course they didn't know where to find it on MS's site. Wonderful support!

This board is really starting to annoy me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts