AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
For $179 it seems like a great deal. I was prepared last week to spend that much on a case and then have to buy a motherboard. I already have a P4 2.53 and 512MB RAM to put in it. I'm not clear on if it comes with a DVD or if I'll have to add that. I already have one to put in it if it doesn't.

I have a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 now. Do you think the included spdif out will be as good as the one on the Revo? From what I've understood spdif out just passes audio directly to the receiver so the sound should be the same. Right? It has one open PCI slot so I guess I could always just add the Revo.

I will only be using this as a DVD player. Will the SiS 315 integrated graphics card be good enough for TheaterTek with ffdshow? I've not understood yet if the TheaterTek / ffdshow combination is more processor or video card intensive. Right now I'm using ffdshow with the resize set to 960x960 and hope to be able to achieve even higher than that with the P4 2.53. I'm using an AMD XP 1800+ in my current HTPC and it runs fine at those settings.

Any help will be appreciated cause I'm ready to make a purchase now. This will save a couple hundred $$$ since I won't have to buy a case, motherboard, and power supply.

On top of all that its the only case I've seen that will actually fit in my rack.

Really the only thing holding me back right now is wondering if the video will be good enough for TheaterTek. Thats the most important thing since this would be a DVD player.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It looks cool. But my quick impressions...

- integrated graphics probably doesn't support custom resolutions

- no AGP support.

- the spdif is on the front (kind of ugly to have a permanent cable up front)

- making everything fit might be difficult esp. PCI cards.

- no floppy drive - install could be a pain.

- s/pdif probably upsamples to 48khz (unlike m-audio cards)

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is also a spdif on the back. There are 2 PCI slots so I would want to put an M-Audio Revo 7.1 and Radeon 7500 PCI. I'm waiting to hear back from ASUS to find out if the 7500 will fit. If the PCI cards will fit I'm gonna order.

Right now I have a tower sitting next to my TV, which I don't like.

1) It is very loud and I have to turn my sound up high to be able to hear some of the softer talking in movies.

2) It doesn't look good.

This case is quiet and would look good in my rack. But, if I can't use my own video and sound cards then it won't work.

I may just end up buying a new rack and get the new D-Vine case when it comes out next month.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I still don't see a rear SPDIF. I guess it would be fairly simple to modify though. Of course, it is a moot point if you are using a Revo.

From the specification:

Rear I/O:

PS/2 KB/Mouse, MIC-In/Line-In/Line-Out

1 x S-Video

1 x TV-out

2 x USB 2.0

1 x RJ45(LAN)

1 x DVI-Out

1 x VGA

1 x Parallel

1 x Serial

I also read somewhere that you need AGP for Dscaler, and that PCI graphics wouldn't cut it. But that may not be true - anyone?

What I'm ideally looking for is a mobo with integrated radeon and revo, in a small form factor - but I guess I may have to wait a while.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
There is a coax spdif out on the back.
So are you saying there's an spdif on the back? :)

Actually, if you look at the asus site, it shows the same connector as a TV-out (presumably a composite video connector, in addition to the the s-video). Perhaps they changed their minds.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Has anybody actually ordered and tried this out? I just added up the sunk + upcoming costs to distribute the VGA & sound output of my HTPC to 2 TVs, and it'll be about $125/TV. According to my math [below], I could have a pundit HTPC client for about $314 with a 1.7GHz Celeron, $382 with a 1.8GHzP4. If I get really cheap, I could build my own with the Asus A7V8X-MX and a 1.3GHz Celeron and move my G550 over, but the pundit looks sooo coool.

The token bit of extra processing this would do is that I would probably put my PVR-250 in this, and slap on Girder & SageTV so I could get that whole pause-live-TV thing. I'd save to a centralized file server, so there'd be no local storage.

I was also thinking about putting XPHome on this, so there's that cost too. What O/S did you guys end up going with?

I have a spare 15GB HD, kb, and mouse for this, so I'm left with:

I was looking at base unit [$185], plus:

$43 - 256MB RAM

$29 - CD/DVD player

$57 - 1.7GHz Celeron

for a total of $314. Obviously I could pay yet another $68 and get a 1.8GHz P4, but I'm not sure I'll need all that power.

I could go the totally cheap route [which I'm seriously thinking about], as this is totally a client other than the PVR-250 thing, and getting the

mobo:Asus A7V8X-MX for $70, a 1.3GHz Celeron, and bare mins on everything else, which would be a mere $214. That would save me enough to buy an M-Audio Revo, and I could get cool sound to-boot.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Quote:
What I'm ideally looking for is a mobo with integrated radeon and revo, in a small form factor - but I guess I may have to wait a while.
ATI has been making some integrated graphics desktop motherboards for some time now, but on a small scale at the lower end of the integrated graphics market. However, they *have* been planning to expand their integrated offerings, following in nVidia's footsteps, and it would surprise me if they don't have a board in a SFF offering before too long. Whether it'll be good enough is another question... ;-)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lava Lamp Freak

There are 2 PCI slots so I would want to put an M-Audio Revo 7.1 and Radeon 7500 PCI.

I only see one PCI slot... Teeps

·
Registered
502 Posts
Graphics cards on PCI slots are notorious (stuttering/sputtering) poor performers . Doesn't it have an AGP slot?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.