AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add an HTPC to my current home theater. I have an Asus G750 laptop and would like to know if it can be used "closed" as an HTPC server. In other words, I'd like to leave the laptop closed at all times and mount it in the AV rack using only the 106" projection screen as the "monitor" (via HDMI) and using a wireless keyboard/mouse. Does anybody know if the Asus can be configured so that it runs like a monitorless server when the laptop is closed? I'd like to never open it (it will be mounted where opening would be difficult anyway), but still be able to power it on and off with the laptop closed.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am very experienced with home theater, but not with HTPC. This is a very important question to me. The G750 is new and still in its sealed box, if it won't work "closed" then I'd rather not open the box because I will probably exchange it for a non-laptop HTPC. I really hope the laptop can work as a server because it fits in my AV rack much better than a regular HTPC.

Not sure if it matters, but the HTPC will primarily be used for racing games like iRacing and Project Cars.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would like to add an HTPC to my current home theater. I have an Asus G750 laptop and would like to know if it can be used "closed" as an HTPC server. In other words, I'd like to leave the laptop closed at all times and mount it in the AV rack using only the 106" projection screen as the "monitor" (via HDMI) and using a wireless keyboard/mouse. Does anybody know if the Asus can be configured so that it runs like a monitorless server when the laptop is closed? I'd like to never open it (it will be mounted where opening would be difficult anyway), but still be able to power it on and off with the laptop closed.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I am very experienced with home theater, but not with HTPC. This is a very important question to me. The G750 is new and still in its sealed box, if it won't work "closed" then I'd rather not open the box because I will probably exchange it for a non-laptop HTPC. I really hope the laptop can work as a server because it fits in my AV rack much better than a regular HTPC.

Not sure if it matters, but the HTPC will primarily be used for racing games like iRacing and Project Cars.
Go to Control Panel...Power Options...on the left hand side menu, click "Choose what closing the lid does", you can then select "do nothing" and your laptop should stay on now whenever you close your laptop.

Toys

Reactions: pjp

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to Control Panel...Power Options...on the left hand side menu, click "Choose what closing the lid does", you can then select "do nothing" and your laptop should stay on now whenever you close your laptop.

Toys
Thanks, this is super helpful. Do you know if I can also shut it off and turn it back on with the laptop closed? I plan to just shut it and mount in a narrow space so it can't be opened easily. I suppose if it goes into standby when it is idle, that would be good enough so it isn't running all the time (though I don't know if a wireless keyboard input would be enough to wake it up from sleep mode).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts