AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new RT_n66u router to rpelace my Netgear WNDR3800. The Netgear router had been providing wireless sufficiently well enough so that I could use my Xbobx WMC Extender on the wifi, not with hard wired ethernet connection. I thought the newer RT-n66u would do the same.

So far, wrong.

When I try to connect over wifi to WMC via the Xbox extender I get through the Media Center startup but the screen remains WMC blue, no WMC menu no TV guide, live TV etc. It works when hard wired however. I use Netgear 500 powerline ethernet adapters and where I moved my WMC serving computer the electrical wiring does not provide as good a path as the wiring did where I had my WMC server & router previously placed in the house. Previously I had a single Xbox and powerline adapter in the location where I now have my router, WMC serving computer and SiliconDust TV tuner and would simetimes experience trouble with WMC and Xbox live video playback.

I would think the RT-n66u should do a better job of allowing WMC extender to work over wifi than the older Netgear, particularly since the new RT-n66u is more centrally located in the house in an open air area. Are there settings either on the RT-n66u wireless setup or the Xbox I need to fiddle with? if so, what are they and how should they be set?

WMC on the WMC serving PC itself works flawlessly but there there is a direct Ethernet connection to the router. The Xbox extenders video has a lot of digital image breakup when I use the wired ethernet via powerline adapter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did two things to solve this issue.

1) Set up 2.4 and 5 GHz ssids with different names.

2) Remove an Ethernet switch between router, WMC PC, and Silicondust tuner, & POwerline Adapaters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts