AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have entered the HTPC world and can't be happier. Well almost. I can't get DD/DTS out of the SPDIF connection on the back. All I get is pro-logic. I am using the coax output (not the optical).

What am I doing wrong? I have the SPDIF output enabled on the control panel settings.

I am running

ASUS P4S333

WIN ME

ATI 7200

I have tried various DVD player software and I always get the same results.

Thanks,

Garrick

·
Registered
625 Posts
I too use the CM8738 chip on a Soyo MB

U don't say which DVD players U have tried....

WinDVD3.x / PowerDVD/XP work DD/DTS earlier versions may not

Get the latest CMI8738 drivers

I had to enable S/PDIF output from #2 (instead of #1)

Turns out #1=Optical and #2=Coaxial

Interesting article Zoltrix Nightingale PRO 6 Sound Card

maybe shed some light

GoodLuck, keep at it ;)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mouw,

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the drivers, and read the article. I will have a lot of time on my hands to play with this since I am having knee surgery today and will be laid up for a few days.

The weird thing about the settings (and the article) is that spdif out only works with 2channel stereo?????? I don't want to use the analog outputs from the soundcard, only the spdif. It seems like a catch 22.

BTW, I used the ATI DVD player that came with my RADEON 7200. I should be getting either the newest windvd or powerdvd today. It really doesn't seem to be the player, since the internal test pattern doesn't work either.

Thanks,

Garrick

·
Registered
625 Posts
Thats UR problem

the ATIdvdPlayer came with the 7200 won't pass S/PDIF 5.1 DD/DTS

U can't get 5.1 out the S/PDIF with this AtiDVDplayer

WinDVD3.x+ and PowerDVDxp4.x work very well

Using WinDVD3.1 myself.....getting the Newer WinDVD4.0 soon

Hope the KNEE goes well 4U

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
The weird thing about the settings (and the article) is that spdif out only works with 2channel stereo?????? I don't want to use the analog outputs from the soundcard, only the spdif. It seems like a catch 22.
The "2-channel stereo" bit refers only to Windows/gaming sounds. If you're passing DD/DTS, the number of channels is irrelevant.

So if you don't plan to use the analogue outputs, and/or don't plan to play games (except with 2-channel sound), you won't lose anything by using that setting. It will pass 5.1 channels with no problems. (Assuming you don't have any other issues with getting it working, of course :D).

-Bon

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info! I will be installing a new player tonight. (and I can't work on anything else because of my knee)

[rant] I can't believe that the ati dvd player won't pass dd/dts! How dumb is that? [end rant]

Thanks,

Garrick

·
Registered
625 Posts
On a ATI7500aiw there is a A/V out adapter

that will pass S/PDIF coax only -> DD ... no DTS

while using the ATIdvdPlayer

Some have reported getting DD/DTS from their sound cards

when using AtiDVDplayer 7.6 --- but NOT me

A lot of people 4 these reasons are using the ZOOMplayer

with ATI's ravisent Video filter

and their Sound Cards filter for DD/DTS

Thereby getting the ATI filter PQ + DD/DTS

Knee Surgery?? ... a Repair / or whole NEW knee

my MOM (85) has had BOTH knees replaced

things went Really Well 4 her

Hope it's the same 4U

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mouw,

Just just some torn cartilage repair/removal. I am a very active person, so this is driving me nuts that I can't be out doing things.

I HAVE DD/DTS! I installed the powerdvd player and VIOLA!

Thanks a million for the insight on the ATI DVD player. If it weren't for the helpful people on this forum, I would still be trying to make that stupid ATI player work. I did notice a few burps in the video, so I may be purchasing the ZOOM player as well.

Thanks again,

Garrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.