AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've been fiddling around with the monitor settings for a while and I feel I've come up with a result which I think can now be considered final. There's a lot I could otherwise say about this monitor, but I'll leave that out unless directly asked about them. So, to the subject matter then...

I typically try to calibrate the monitor to its furthest accuracy, or otherwise full potential, before I proceed to making any adjustments in the NVIDIA Control Panel (or any other drivers/software for color display calibration). However, in this case, it was worth it to balance out one of the inherent flaws of the monitor and make up for it more with the NVIDIA settings. The alteration ended up just being a minor boost of Red and Green in the monitor settings in ratio to the Blue and then further compensate therefore a little bit in the NVIDIA settings (to be able to produce a higher level of contrast). That extra bit of accuracy may be worth throwing a little off anyway, if you don't have the NVIDIA settings that is, for the mentioned benefit of added contrast. This monitor should never be used for professional use anyway (although these settings might make it borderline acceptable for such a use if you know what you're doing). Also, these settings were done using a DisplayPort connection and I'm not furthermore sure if there would be any perceivable differences with any other connections (there shouldn't be unless your output is something other than RGB Full).

Monitor Settings-
Splendid: Theater Mode (selected by simply highlighting it in the menu or switching to it beforehand by scrolling to it using the left-most monitor button)
Color:
  • Brightness: 100 (can really be set to anything) (I prefer this choice just for the lighting level itself, where 100 is unnecessarily high, and where below kind of creates a sense of less contrast, despite the range of between 74 and 84 actually creating the best lighting for dark scenes in terms of the contrast between dark areas and lit up ones)
  • Contrast: 100
  • Saturation: 55
  • Color Temp.: User Mode
    • R: 48
    • G: 35
    • B: 65
  • Skin Tone: Natural
  • Smart View: OFF
Image:
  • Sharpness: 65
  • Trace Free: 60
  • Aspect Control: Full (I'm assuming that's the way it'd be preferred in most any scenario)
  • ASCR: OFF
-Of course make sure you have "Splendid Demo Mode" and "ECO Mode" turned off under "System Setup" (also, under "OSD Setup" there, you can get the menu out of the way if you'd like - off to the side for example and with a higher level of transparency).

NVIDIA Control Panel, Desktop Color Settings/Intel Graphics Properties-
Hue: 356° (make sure the value doesn't get reset with an update or when certain monitor parameters might be changed)

PS- Apart from the settings, Windows (or rather, NVIDIA software as integrated with Windows) would need to be set up to send the appropriate output. There are many things screwed up about it and the cases are too individual to be able to list the appropriate steps for the solution. One thing I can comment on is that, when changing the Hue in the NVIDIA Control Panel, if the screen suddenly drastically appears to lose "brightness" and seems to get a boost of "contrast", that means there's something wrong; it shouldn't do that. Playing around with a combination of the "Digital Color Format" (if you have that under "Desktop Color Settings") and with the two sections of output resolution ("HD, SD" and "PC") in the Control Panel, under where it says "Change Resolution", might help. With some of the latest updates, there may actually be an option under the desktop color settings for what I will further elaborate on. You'd ultimately want to end up with "RGB" as your color format and most likely, oddly enough, with a resolution selected under the "HD, SD" category (selecting the native resolution of course). Like I said, there are many strange things, which at first I thought might have to do with the anomaly of, say, a Full Range (0-255) source signal being sent to the Limited Range parameter of 16-235, but further analyzing when and how the jumps in PQ were happening, I don't think that this is the case here. As mentioned, an option with these settings may exist now depending on when you read this and it may be as simple as making sure the available option in the main tab for adjusting the listed setting is set to "Full Range (0-255)". With NVIDIA, you may furthermore be able to use this tool for a solution to this problem for any monitors you may connect with HDMI: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.zip.

This issue tends to mostly happen with an HDMI connection and actually seems to exist with Intel as well, across all Windows devices and platforms. Something under the Intel "Graphics Options", there may somewhere be found a place to set the above mentioned parameters, but in other cases not.

At any rate, once you've finalized your settings, I recommend using a little program called "Color Profile Keeper" for keeping everything the way you've adjusted it no matter what happens. It still doesn't work all the time with everything though and the "Digital Vibrance" and "Hue" settings it doesn't keep (these don't happen within the same profile), but it does otherwise get the job done. It may not secure the Limited vs. Full Range problem either. Anyway, you can find the software here: http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/. It's useful for software which fails to engage your settings (all the others) or otherwise for when they sometimes get reverted to their defaults. The "
[*]" button can be used to save the current color profile you have made which you can then load the file into the program and "lock" it. You'd probably want it on startup, so in order to do so, you'd want all the boxes checked in the settings (the little gear icon) and then put the program (the .exe) into a permanent folder where it would be (like in Program Files (x86)).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for posting this. Just got the monitor and will try your settings. :)
Very cool :D

I've actually changed them a while back and never actually updated them here (I've edited it now). I basically just wanted to see if I could push the monitor setting themselves a bit further rather than using the NVIDIA Control Panel settings to compensate and I've otherwise learned that it's better to max out the contrast of the monitor actually using the contrast setting rather than a random combination of basically it and the RGB levels. This is basically what is reflected in what you may notice were the changes. Hope you like them! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts