·
Registered
5,540 Posts
So basicaly an external Asus STX?

I've been really pleased with the STX.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Does anyone know if this DAC accepts 88.2 and 176.4 kHz signals over USB? Everything that I've read is unclear about this.

Are there jumper settings to change the level of gain for the headphone amp? This would be optimal for those who use both low and high impedance headphones.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by savian /forum/post/20926684

The price announced for Europe is 400 Euro, about $ 500. USB driver is still immature, the specifications shows that will work with 88.2 and 176.4 kHz signals. We'll see when you get the new driver.

Unfortunately there is no gain jumper.

English version of the review here.

Thanks for the information. $500 would not be bad once (or if) the USB drivers function properly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Can anyone inform me about the 11 swappable opamp sockets. Being a stereo DAC/Headphone amp, I am curious as to why there are 11 opamps. Understanding they are all probably single channel. There are only 3 analog outputs...RCA, Balanced and Headphones.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfeeus /forum/post/21176095

Can anyone inform me about the 11 swappable opamp sockets. Being a stereo DAC/Headphone amp, I am curious as to why there are 11 opamps. Understanding they are all probably single channel. There are only 3 analog outputs...RCA, Balanced and Headphones.

According to the review and Asus' information, 9 of the swappable op-amps are for the speaker output stage and 2 are for the headphone output. As for the speaker outputs, it would seem that there are multiple op-amps assigned per channel.

Having that many swappable op-amps is odd, and I will leave them as is since I have no interest in expending time and money in customizations with uncertain results.

Speaking of which, when will this finally be released in the US? I saw that Asus' USA site recently added it to the product line.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Found this diagram from another forum relating to my question about opamp socket locations....
Utilizing the coaxial RCA analog output, I can see there are 4 swappable sockets for replacement in this path. Question: Is is possible to mix and match different opamps along this path. eg. Analog Devices and T.I. Burr Brown together???

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
You can mix and match different op-amps if you so desire.

I see that this DAC now has a couple of videos on YouTube. The one below is not much more than what is provided via marketing speak, but it gives you a better idea of the DAC's actual aesthetic qualities.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/21272863

Yikes $500 for that baby!

Comparatively speaking it is most likely a bargain vs Benchmark, Berkeley, Wyred etc...

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
So, were the USB problems addressed? It seems that users on other forums are having positive experiences with bit-perfect output via Asus' ASIO drivers through the USB connection when using foobar2000.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.