AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and rereading the manual and trying everything these are my unresolved problems.

1. Whenever I connect HDAV - gfx (4870x2) - amp (onkyo HT-R548) - monitor (Samsung T260) I get a blank screen everytime I change resolution/log off/reset which can only be restored by connecting the gfx card directly to the amp. After replugging it to the HDAV the display works correctly. I have tried the .inf override but when I try to change the monitor when video is connect through HDAV the monitor option is greyed out. Changing it beforehand has no effect.

2. When the HDAV is in the loop powerdvd straight doesn't work and VLC cause display problems.

3. I have neither the CD nor the serial number fo the Total media Theatre even though it is advertised on the box.

4. If I try to connect the HDAV to the amp through HDMI but the monitor through DVI I get no sound.

My setup is:

Computer

AMD Phenom II 965 8gig ram

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium

ATI Radeon 4870x2 Display

Samsung T260 26" monitor

Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3

Hifi Onkyo HT-S5405

Everything running the latest drivers. Thanks beforehand to all replies.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Try setting your monitor as display 1 and extend your Windows desktop to your receiver as display 2.

Run an hdmi cable from the hdav output to your receiver's input. Run a dvi cable to your monitor directly from your video card. Run an hdmi cable from your video to the input of your hdav.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Your problem is the native resolution of the T260: 1920x1200, i.e., not a standard HDTV resolution (e.g. 1080p/i, 720p)

A solution would be to have 2 connections: one directly to the T260 and the second to the Xonar->ONKYO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulli
Your problem is the native resolution of the T260: 1920x1200, i.e., not a standard HDTV resolution (e.g. 1080p/i, 720p)

A solution would be to have 2 connections: one directly to the T260 and the second to the Xonar->ONKYO.
I tried that, no connection is registered on the amp that way even though you can see the equaliser signal on the monitor. Does this mean that I have to change my monitor to a 16:9 one for everything to work correctly?

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannwhite /forum/post/20841601

I tried that, no connection is registered on the amp that way even though you can see the equaliser signal on the monitor. Does this mean that I have to change my monitor to a 16:9 one for everything to work correctly?

Again, the problem is the resolution. It won't work unless the graphic driver is set to an HDTV resolution, i.e. 1920x1080.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't change it at all while connected through HDAV, it always defaults back to 1920x1200. Also I can't override EDID it just show me Display Device on: DVI, which makes no sense. When I try through the drivers I don't get any options to change resolution either like when not connected through HDAV.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Managed to change the resolution to 1920x1080 60Hz but still no change about the other problems, i.e. loss of picture/sound as soon as I change res, vlc kills desktop, powerdvd 11 doesn't work etc.. As soon as I insert the DVI screen goes blue (NOT BSOD!!!)

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Try again with 2 different connections:

1. 1980x1200 DVI to the T260 (Video link)

2. 1980x1080 HDMI to Xonar->ONKYO in Extended Mode (Audio link only).

See that you get audio over the ONKYO (I'm not sure that it won't require a connected HDMI output display, but see if you get audio, e.g windows test tones).

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Is the Xonar set to HDMI? (you must cilck on the HDMI connector icon on the Xonar Audio Center). Also set the Xonar to Speakers.

If you still get no audio that way it means that the ONKYO requires a connection on the HDMI-out port. Use the HDMI-in of the T260 for that. IIRC the Xonar will produce audio even if the HDMI connection is inactive, but I might be wrong here.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No the Xonar will not produce audio that way, I read so in another site and saw it firsthand. Setting are right for certain cause I get sound 1st time, the main problem is losing connection whenever there is a change in resolution. That means a handshake problem but there is no way around it since windows won't let me change monitor type while connected through HDAV even if I change to the EDID override before connecting it.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Well, then only solution that I see is an expensive (~$100) Gefen HDMI detective plus to put as an active output video connection for the ONKYO.

Another possible solution would be an EDID override with the 1080p resolution set as preferred in the EDID. But you would lose the full native resolution for the T260, even for desktop apps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is there any equivalent product I can buy in Europe instead of the Gefen? I can only find one through ebay and will have to pay duty as well as buy a step down transformer for the thing. Thanks very much for all your help!!!

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Your sli setup maybe interfering. I have extended desktop with 8300IGP hdmi to 1920/1200 desktop. DVI out of 9800gt into Xonar to Onkyo and 2nd DVI to projector. Both DVI are 1920/1080. Xonar speakers is default device in playback devices. I did the speaker setup and in properties/advanced allow exclusive control and 24/48hz. Have had it working this way for some time. If I want sound to desktop, choose Nvidia hdmi. If I want surround I set Xonar Speakers as default. Audio switches fine without any reboot. You have done your setup with the Onkyo? Try setting audio to no passthrough. May be return channel interfering. Something to check.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry but have neither an SLI nor an Xfire setup. 4870x2 is dual chip on a card, for the computer it appears as a single card. Tried with both passthrough and not but will try again tomorrow to make sure. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.