AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a pair of B&W 685s from Best Buy. Right now I am going with the ASW610 sub to complete my 2.1 setup.

I listen to trance/progressive music and quality really matters..

Is there a better option for a similar price? I want clean bass.

I have a Pioneer vsx-51 receiver.

Going in a big room with carpet and a wood floor step up to a dining area ( no walls blocking )and an open hallway, not ideal.

100% all music, movies and games do not matter.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragonbabyy1 /forum/post/20883730

I just got a pair of B&W 685s from Best Buy. Right now I am going with the ASW610 sub to complete my 2.1 setup.

I listen to trance/progressive music and quality really matters..

Is there a better option for a similar price? I want clean bass.

I have a Pioneer vsx-51 receiver.

Going in a big room with carpet and a wood floor step up to a dining area ( no walls blocking )and an open hallway, not ideal.

100% all music, movies and games do not matter.

I would jump on this HSU VTF-2 MK 3 sub at $552 delivered instead of the B&W. The HSU has a great reputation.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would look at an Epik Empire or if you wan't to push it a Submersive

I would probably think of a sealed sub - since you keep talking about clean output for music - but then again sealed subs can actually have a lot of distortion down low. Also in a big room I would also consider going ported - something like a plus or ultra from SVS or a VTF-15H from HSU.

If size and money is no object a Submersive or a Captivator.

But from what your saying and the price of the sub you mention - an Epik Empire would be in different league all together than a B&W asw610.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have a few more questions.

Instead of the two 685s on stands what do you guys think about the 684s and possibly the 683s without subs?

I really like the 685s because of the flexibility and it brings out the highs and lows and that is very important to me.

I would however prefer a sub. The VTF-3 MK4 looks very promising for my music quality needs.

How does it compare to the VTF-3 MK3 and VTF-2 MK3?

Also my price range cannot really exceed $800 possibly $700.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Have you looked at the Epik Legend?

In regards to music - when choosing between larger floorstanders vs. standmounters (from the same series)+ a sub, I would probably be inclined towards the larger floorstanders - no worries about integration about the sub. Also when talking about music multiple subs are usually prefered - and you also don't have to worry about this.

I have to admit that I sometimes put my avr on one of the direct modes - where it bypasses eq and only sends to my two front speakers - and it sounds great.

So... choices choices

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The epic legend subwoofer is looking pretty sweet. Alot of great reviews about performance and for the price its at wow.

Can someone explain the difference between sealed and ported and which would be better for music quality?

I can get a pair of B&W 684s for 1000 at a local store and paired with this sub I doubt I would be disappointed.

I payed just over 2k for a pair of 685s and the asw610. Help me out here please I'm a newbie!

EDIT: sticking with the 685s and looking to pick up a quality sub in the future.... ULS-15 is probably the highest price range I can afford, any suggestions? don't forget 100% music!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.