AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow AVSers,

Need some help on an AT screen size for this room, and also if it will even be worth it since its kinda small...?

Room is currently 17' long, 13'10" wide and 8' ceilings. The knee walls are 4' high then angle up towards the ceiling. The width of the ceiling is 4'. I can expand the length of the room upto or around 24-26' with no problems. Window will be plugged and will be using a false wall with AT screen.

From my measurements, looks like I can get a 105" wide 2.35 screen in here (I guess depending on screen border, leaves me 6" diagonal to ceiling). That would be with the screen bottom at or around 20" off the floor. (Too low?) Will have a small 4-6" stage.

I guess I am asking someone to double check my math on max screen width, and is that as big as I can go?

Also, if 105" 2.35 too SMALL/and better fit for 16:9?

PS: Have not purchased projector, seating or screen. Trying to determine screen size first, then will accomadate seating/distance based on final size. Probably cannot fit riser, so might have row of 2 seats with small bar behind them or 2 seats off to the side.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I definitely think its worth it, by adjusting the seating distance, you can have just as immersive an experience as a larger room with a larger screen.

What's the thinking of the 6 5/16" gap between screen edge and ceiling - just room for screen border? I'd be tempted to make it a little bigger, and get the frame almost up against the ceiling - build a narrow screen frame, and you could even put up black fabric on the first couple feet of the ceiling above the screen if light splash is an issue.

Looks like seated, your eyes would be right about screen center vertically, so I'd think it would be OK.

Re: 2.35:1 vs. 16:9 - since you have the angled ceiling to contend with, its almost a toss up, but it is angled such that you can stretch horizontally a bit more than vertically, so 2.35:1 makes sense to me. Or a CIA aspect ratio, if the resulting 16:9 on that 2.35:1 seems too small to you.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the extra 6 inches for screen frame. Guess I can plan on cutting that down to 2-3 inches and expand the screen a little. Every inch counts....!

So how low can you mount a screen without being to low? Any suggestions on that?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 /forum/post/20852162

So how low can you mount a screen without being to low? Any suggestions on that?

When it is AT, you can take it down quite a bit lower than you would if the fabric were solid. Because our eyes and ears are roughly at the same height, you get to have the best of both worlds in AV with an AT screen. The only thing you need to watch is that don't go so low that you don't cast shadows. Other than that, its all good. My AT screen is just 2 feet off the floor.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking 20 inches from my calculations but wasn't sure if I could go lower because the lower I go, the bigger the screen. I will not be having a riser due room. (unless I did a smaller two seat on but thinking more of a bar setup behind the main seats)

Will be hanging projector from ceiling, will that also affect screen height?

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 /forum/post/20855471

Will be hanging projector from ceiling, will that also affect screen height?

It certainly can affect the outcome.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably going to go with a Panny 4000 or maybe the newer 7000. Would that low of screen work?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a very similar decision to make a few months ago with my system. The constraints I had were with width instead of height. I started out doing a 16:9 AT screen that was 105" wide. It was mounted 40" off the ground. What I found was that the screen was too large and it felt too high. Also, I had trouble finding good projectors in my budget to light up such a large screen. Also, AT screens tend to lose light.

The screen company, Seymour AV, was really good to me and switched my 3 month old screen with a new 2.35 screen that was 105" wide. Now the 16:9 image is 79" wide (much smaller). The net result is so much better it's incredible. I am able to get projectors to light it up easily. The 16:9 image is just the right size for HDTV and the movie viewing is absolutely enveloping. The feeling you get from images that are wider than your field of view is fantastic. Similarly, the feeling you get from images that are taller than your field of view can be too much. Similar to sitting in the front row of a movie theater.

Based on my experience I would say your setup can be excellent. A 105" 2.35 AT screen is big enough to give you the "scope" feeling. You will also have a lot of projectors to choose from based on your screen size.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32
Probably going to go with a Panny 4000 or maybe the newer 7000. Would that low of screen work?
The issue with these projectors and their "auto Scope" mode is that the projector must be mounted at a height so that the lens is somewhere inside the screen area. If you lowering the screen, then the projector must be mounted low too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32
Would a curved screen give me more width?
EDIT: No and I would NOT be using a curved screen in this instance.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVX /forum/post/20859344

EDIT: No and I would NOT be using a curved screen in this instance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 /forum/post/20860036

So you are suggesting a curved screen?

No use a flat screen if zooming.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I pretty much have a 105" wide 2.35 AT screen (43" CIH) and I love the size. I'll have to remeasure the height off the ground, but I believe it is 30" off the ground. Sometimes I wish it were lower but it works perfectly where it is with my PJ/A-lens being almost vertically centered. It is curved, since I use a lens and I made it out of the Semour AV material mentioned a few posts back. My prevous screen was a larger 16:9 made out of Sintra board, having moved to an AT CIH screen I would never suggest anything different, I just wish I had done it in the first place. I say go for it, curve it if you are gonna use a lens but if you are gonna zoom then keep it flat.

-Sean

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think it would be fine, but you could always just use some painter's tape and tape the perimeter dimensions of the screen and see how your head/eye level sits while seated compared to the screen. If you feel like you are looking down at the center of the image it might be too low but if you are straight on that would be ideal. It would be a lot cheaper than buying the screen and then deciding you don't like the position.

-Sean

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 /forum/post/20857770

Thank you. ^^

How high is you screen off the floor now?

It's now only 30" from the floor.

I agree with Sean, you should just tape it off and see how it feels. Head on to the center is best, but a little deviation up or down is not too bad.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumar /forum/post/20863637

Head on to the center is best, but a little deviation up or down is not too bad.

Given the choice, I'd be aiming slight up rather than down. If you get your eye line to centre, you will get much more enjoyment form the system.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.