AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping around for an HDTV. I already did my homework and I AM going with 1080P (I'm firm on it). I've also decided to go with the Philips Ambilight (also firm on that one). The only problem is: I have to choose between 42" and 47".

I sit at about 7.5 to 8 feet away from the TV. Which of the two sizes would be the the right size for the "optimum" 1080P experience?

I heard that if you sit too close to an HDTV, it will look blurry. I also heard that if you sit too far, "your eye won't notice the 1080P difference."

I'm lost between the two

·
Registered
353 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur_LH /forum/post/12951811

I'm shopping around for an HDTV. I already did my homework and I AM going with 1080P (I'm firm on it). I've also decided to go with the Philips Ambilight (also firm on that one). The only problem is: I have to choose between 42" and 47".

I sit at about 7.5 to 8 feet away from the TV. Which of the two sizes would be the the right size for the "optimum" 1080P experience?

I heard that if you sit too close to an HDTV, it will look blurry. I also heard that if you sit too far, "your eye won't notice the 1080P difference."

I'm lost between the two

The 47 is perfect. The 52 would look blurry at 7 feet away on regular TV shows, but if you watch mostly movies, the 52 would be okay to make up for screen height loss due to the letterbox bars on top and bottom of picture. lcd-bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
42 dude...don't go to big from that far away u will start to see the imperfections in the sharpness

also the 720p/1080i signal you are getting from you cable/dish service would look better on the smaller lcd

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have a 46" and sit the same distance from you. If I sit on the couch it looks great. If I lean forward I can see imperfection. If I stand behind the couch it looks a tad better.

I think you would be happy with either one but I'd go for the 47" knowing that some of your crappy channels will look that much crappier at that distance. HD will be stunning.

I personally wouldn't go bigger than the 47".

Good luck!

·
Registered
90 Posts
its all personal pref. mine is a 37 (720)and from 8ft I think its too close. I think I would be happier with a 32!! so i'll tranfer the 37 to another room.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts