AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just built a new computer and I'm connecting to my surround sound via optical but I'm only getting two channel output. I have downloaded the real tec audio manager several times and have never been able to configure the play back device for anything other than 2.1. I even hooked up via my hdmi cable and was only getting 2.1 or pro logic. I was never able to get true 5.1 sound. Normally when you click on a playback device the configure button is clickable to select the speaker set up 2.1, 4.1, 5.1 etc right?? Mine is blacked out.

I went to the mobo manufacturer and download all the correct drivers etc.. I just have no idea what else to try.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 mobo, and running a gtx 970 for my displays. The reason why I'm using optical for audio. What gives?

I trying to play Dying light in surround mode lol. Just not the best in 2.1. Can tell when the zombies are creepy from behind.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Use the audio coming off the HDMI cable from your gpu

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
What are you connecting it to?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A receiver, tried two of them as well. I have a pioneer vsx92txh and then for my office pc a BA DT 7000.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Well, I can tell you for sure the 970 can output up to 7.1 over HDMI. You shouldn't need to involve any optical cables or the onboard sound, the GPU itself is the sound card. When connected the TV or receiver itself should show up as a sound device.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hooked up the hdmi right through the 970 and was only able to get pro logic. Unless this game is only in 2.1? In my office I have three monitors and the DT 7000 only has a optical input. I'm going to try a dvd in the computer later today and see if I can get surround that way.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Games on the PC do not come with Dolby Digital pre-encoded sound streams, the way all games do on Console systems. While PC games support SURROUND sound, it's not encoded into a pre-compressed stream that your receiver is looking to decode for you. That's the hook that gets most folks, they assume it's like a console...hook up the connector and the hardware takes care of the rest.

If you hook up your system via OPTICAL your computer is passing game audio as 2.1 channel (Due to bandwidth restrictions on TOSLINK/COAX digital connections), but it will pass any Movie or GAME that supports Dolby Digital/DTS as a pre-encoded DD or DTS bitstream just fine. Again, games are a rarity with this on the PC side of things.....for most games you'll want to turn on one of your receivers Pro Logic or DTS modes to create surround from the 2.1 source, and it won't be half bad.

If you hook up your system via HDMI you now have the bandwidth to pass 5.1 or 7.1+ channels of uncompressed audio to your receiver. You'll want to turn on your receiver's DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL modes to hear the audio in true surround, and I believe here you will have to configure your PC to say "When I use HDMI Audio out, I want to send it as 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever" and the receiver should pass the audio to the speakers appropriately. However, I don't personally *do this myself*, so my advice here is iffy.....someone else who does this will likely chime in and correct me if I'm off.

(Also, a quick search up on the web indicates you may want to pull out your Pioneer manual and turn to page 28 where the 'Surround Listening Modes' are, and start pressing buttons).

Good Luck

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Games on the PC do not come with Dolby Digital pre-encoded sound streams, the way all games do on Console systems. While PC games support SURROUND sound, it's not encoded into a pre-compressed stream that your receiver is looking to decode for you. That's the hook that gets most folks, they assume it's like a console...hook up the connector and the hardware takes care of the rest.

If you hook up your system via OPTICAL your computer is passing game audio as 2.1 channel (Due to bandwidth restrictions on TOSLINK/COAX digital connections), but it will pass any Movie or GAME that supports Dolby Digital/DTS as a pre-encoded DD or DTS bitstream just fine. Again, games are a rarity with this on the PC side of things.....for most games you'll want to turn on one of your receivers Pro Logic or DTS modes to create surround from the 2.1 source, and it won't be half bad.

If you hook up your system via HDMI you now have the bandwidth to pass 5.1 or 7.1+ channels of uncompressed audio to your receiver. You'll want to turn on your receiver's DIRECT or MULTICHANNEL modes to hear the audio in true surround, and I believe here you will have to configure your PC to say "When I use HDMI Audio out, I want to send it as 5.1 or 7.1 or whatever" and the receiver should pass the audio to the speakers appropriately. However, I don't personally *do this myself*, so my advice here is iffy.....someone else who does this will likely chime in and correct me if I'm off.

(Also, a quick search up on the web indicates you may want to pull out your Pioneer manual and turn to page 28 where the 'Surround Listening Modes' are, and start pressing buttons).

Good Luck
Thanks for the info. The game must not be encoded for Dolby Digital and that is why the DT 7000 isn't play it as such. My Pioneer is in the living room so I won't be lugging the office PC into that room every time I want to play a game. I'm going to buy a full fledged receiver for the home office and dive back into it then. I guess I'll have to run one monitor via hdmi from my pc to my receiver and then to the monitor and hope that if I try surround gaming it works with the two others still.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Consider a PC 7.1 headset, wireless or otherwise, $30 to $150 bucks. You get your surround, no need to mess with a receiver, just a USB port. Not sure how you game, this may not be ideal, but it's a cheap and quick solution.

Or you can try running the 2.1 via optical as you said you tried and turn on the Pro Logic modes. Understand, Pro Logic has come a long way since the original VHS implementation, when it wasn't nearly as good at 5.1 on DVD's.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My "TWO" Harman Kardon receivers only accept TOSLINK and analogue as HDMI modules have gone kaput lol. I ain't dumping them because they're one of few receivers with Dolby Headphone support.

In your case, save of buying a new receiver, you can buy a sound card with Dolby Digital Live support. My Creative X-Fi Titanium HD only supports multichannel audio output like that. While I hate Windows Vista with a passion, I have to stay as this old ass card does not support Windows 7 and beyond. In your case, just get a cheap Asus Sonar card, and it should cover you with DDL.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your responses. I tested with a dvd and sure enough get the DD so it's definitely working when it should which was my biggest concern. I'm going to keep trying to figure it out. Not interested in the headphone route. I have a x41 from my xbox that I could use but I really just prefer speakers over wearing something on my head.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
Thank you all for your responses. I tested with a dvd and sure enough get the DD so it's definitely working when it should which was my biggest concern. I'm going to keep trying to figure it out. Not interested in the headphone route. I have a x41 from my xbox that I could use but I really just prefer speakers over wearing something on my head.
Use Dolby Prologic IIx or z or whatever your receiver comes with, or try using DTS NEo 6 if it will work......either way it will spread out your sound stage and you will usually hear things happening behind you, actually behind you. It's not worth it to go native.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My "TWO" Harman Kardon receivers only accept TOSLINK and analogue as HDMI modules have gone kaput lol. I ain't dumping them because they're one of few receivers with Dolby Headphone support.

In your case, save of buying a new receiver, you can buy a sound card with Dolby Digital Live support. My Creative X-Fi Titanium HD only supports multichannel audio output like that. While I hate Windows Vista with a passion, I have to stay as this old ass card does not support Windows 7 and beyond. In your case, just get a cheap Asus Sonar card, and it should cover you with DDL.
I agree here. I can't use HDMI audio at all, so I bought a Sound Blaster Z for under $100 for DD 5.1 output for everything. My receiver won't pass 5.1 through unless it's wrapped as DD or DTS. This may be an appropriate fix for you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I agree here. I can't use HDMI audio at all, so I bought a Sound Blaster Z for under $100 for DD 5.1 output for everything. My receiver won't pass 5.1 through unless it's wrapped as DD or DTS. This may be an appropriate fix for you.
same here im using an auzentech sound card which is basically a creative precessor and supports dolby digital live with a pioneer receiver via spdif. With DDL enabled my pc sounds as good as any of my consoles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts