AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happy with their grey AT screen? I've seen various fabrics used including the phifer sheerweave 2000 (white/platinum). Can anyone speak to their impressions vs known quantities (wilsonart laminates and doable for video, sheerweave 4500 chalk for audio and video)?

thx.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/16976371

No AT fabric will match the gain of a identical shade on a solid surface screen

No Solid can be AT

Trade offs exist with each.

yup... understand that... some of the white weaves are 1.1 gain or greater. I figure the light greys are probably around .8, so that would be fine as long as the picture looked nice and didn't hotspot. I'm willing to give up a bit of gain, but do not want any strong color casts (would rather paint or buy grey laminate and live with standard audio placement)... of course, I could paint an AT screen, but that just seems like asking for trouble to me (even though it has been done successfully as you've mentioned!).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no luck yet... Chris Seymour (seymourav) responded to my inquiry that he had tested a few that were fairly neutral, but had visible texture due to grey being a weave of white and darker grey. screen innovations sells a grey AT weave screen, but I have yet to pinpoint an off-the-shelf material from a solar shade company that looks good. I've ordered a few samples and will post when I receive them.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri /forum/post/16989839

no luck yet... Chris Seymour (seymourav) responded to my inquiry that he had tested a few that were fairly neutral, but had visible texture due to grey being a weave of white and darker grey. screen innovations sells a grey AT weave screen, but I have yet to pinpoint an off-the-shelf material from a solar shade company that looks good. I've ordered a few samples and will post when I receive them.

The blending of White & Gray is simply an attempt to increase the surface area of the weave that has a darker shade so as to increase contrast, along with a lighter shade that will try to help maintain whites. That seems like a silly idea to me....
Obviously the "alternating" light and dark areas would highlight to edges of a weave pattern.

It's essential that once you find the right coating, that it be applied to BOTH sides of a AT cloth to avoid just that sort of striping effect where the paint fails to "turn the corner" and equally coat the sides of the weave. Just as essential is how you apply the paint, at at whit viscosity.

But most essential of all...the type of paint you use.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think he was referring to the solar shade materials... most of the gray materials offered are weaves of grey and white 'yarns'. obviously, they are not concerned with their performance as a projections screen. I agree, this should certainly not be the approach if one is trying to design a woven screen from scratch (where one would choose an appropriate grey thread for warp and weft, and apply coating if desired/necessary).

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougri /forum/post/17015195

I think that is perforated laminate (as opposed to just a woven textile)... would give me moire problems with the size of screen I am building. Thanks.

Yep.

Dots are always worse than "squares".

Basically, those who need/demand the use of AT Screens must accept the facts...that they are by their own choice introducing more issues than they solve. For those to whom cost is not so much a factor as the end results, that's fine, but for "normals' it can be a lesson in futility and/or unexpectedly disappointing results if they try to go it on a DIY "budget".

There are other alternatives, but none that can/should be discussed on DIY Screens. Try DIY Speakers maybe. You don't say as to if you already have your Center Channel, so you might still have other acceptable alternatives.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/17018885

Yep.

Dots are always worse than "squares".

Basically, those who need/demand the use of AT Screens must accept the facts...that they are by their own choice introducing more issues than they solve. For those to whom cost is not so much a factor as the end results, that's fine, but for "normals' it can be a lesson in futility and/or unexpectedly disappointing results if they try to go it on a DIY "budget".

There are other alternatives, but none that can/should be discussed on DIY Screens. Try DIY Speakers maybe. You don't say as to if you already have your Center Channel, so you might still have other acceptable alternatives.

good insight... very to the point on my 'issues'. I have a long throw projector which limits my screen size to 80" (16:9 diagonal), which happens to be just right for me at just over 9ft viewing distance. I do have a full complement of speakers including an MMTMM center channel. problem is, the big speakers are not up to the WAF threshold. Given the size of our home (

1 - 11 of 11 Posts