AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been feverishly perusing this forum for several months trying to make up my mind about a projector. Without a doubt, this forum has the smartest people in home theater technology today. What a treat to read everyone’s comments! The knowledge I have gained cannot be attained elsewhere… OK enough boot-licking on my part… What I really need is advice in these final harrowing moments of decision making.

I will be replacing my projector and buying a screen in the next two weeks, and am down to 2 choices for a projector:

• NEC HT1000

• BenQ PE8700

With very few exceptions, it seems that everyone loves the HT1000 here (excellent blacks, contrast, color, pop, blah, blah). Very few people have purchased the BenQ HD2 (great price), so no real history to go by; although those who have love it as well, and have compared it favorably to the NEC.

Here are my requirements:

• Projector used for movie DVDs 99.9% of the time (so mostly 16:9). Have HDTV, but hardly watch it

• 120†diagonal image. Projector lens about 13’ from screen (both projectors fit throw distance)

• Projector will sit on a stand directly above my head from sitting position, so I am sitting about 12 ft away from screen. Da-Lite C Hi-Power screen OK?

• Some ambient light (window shades). White walls. Living room in NY apartment.

• Buying a Bravo D1 for DVI

• Price difference between NEC and BenQ not an issue

Conventional wisdom would have me choose the NEC – but I am concerned about my screen size and sitting distance (don’t want to change my parameters here). Will the lower resolution be noticeable on a 120†diagonal at 12 ft sitting distance? The anamorphic lens should help – but this is an unknown item right now (QA). Is the light output enough when paired with a Hi-Power?

If I choose the BenQ, I will get the resolution, 16:9 AR, contrast – but probably not the blacks, pop and color of the NEC? Also this projector is still a relative unknown?

BTW, I am replacing a Sony 10HT (yikes!) projected on to white wall (double-yikes!). So any new projector image I throw unto a real screen will look like heaven to my peasant eyes. Also, previous to the 10HT, I had a first generation IF DLP, so rainbows are NOT an issue with me.

Like everyone else, I waited for CEDIA -- it’s over – nothing but nuthin– so ah can’t wait no more. Sorry for the long post, but I need help in this 11th hour!

Thanks to everyone on this forum, and especially to the AV Science guys!

BTW, this is my first post :D

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Will the lower resolution be noticeable on a 120†diagonal at 12 ft sitting distance?
probably.

thats a pretty big screen for that distance.

the benq would probably be smoother- but to what extent would require you to judge.

the biggest problem for me with the BenQ is the noise level i'm reading about.

to me, thats the deal breaker for what looks like an otherwise good value pj.

you could get around it by building or buying a hushbox, but thats something i don't want to do.

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I agree with cholchak in terms of resolution issue. (I've seen the HT1000 and have bought the BenQ.) I've posted on the noise in another thread, but I'd still go with the BenQ if you're sitting so close. I was watching some 4:3 material, and after zooming out to fill more of the screen I was surprized how visible pixels were at up to 8-9' or so. I do know that pixels were just visible if you stopped to look for them in bright scenes with the HT1000 from 14', and I can't see any at all with the HD2 from that distance.

As far as helping out with judging build quality, I can only report that my BenQ is still running after 17 hours of viewing. No dust blobs, color uniformity issues, or warning lights or bulb failures so far.... The warrantee, in any case, is pretty good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.