AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
AT-LP120 vs TT42 Turntables

Hello all,

I have been looking between these two players for a while now and I have found a lot of information on the audio-technica, but little on the Marantz. Here is a comparison chart of the two from crutchfield:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-V2C9R...antz-TT42-vs-Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB.html

I have done some research on the specs listed here and what they mean, but does anyone have real world experience with these turntables? The technica definitely seems to have the Marantz beaten on tech, but it appears Marantz has the sound quality edge (if I understand those specs correctly.) Which do you overall feel would have better sound quality/build quality? I will be playing them through a Marantz PM6006 and Bower and Wilkins 685s.

Thank you for any insights or thoughts and thanks for reading.

·
The Village Idiot
9,560 Posts
I'm lazy so I bought the TT42 since it is fully automatic. I don't have to remember to return the tone arm to it's rest and shut the machine off. I usually remove the LP and replace it to it's sleeve right away but sometimes I might be well into a nap when the LP ends. Sound quality is ok but I'm sure a better cart wouldn't be a bad idea - if I used it more than I do now I would. My prior TT was a vintage Phillips 312 which was also automatic. I replaced the Bang & Olufsen cart with a Shure M97xe which made a notable improvement. The B&O cart did have a few miles on it. That was a very good TT - better than the Marantz IMO. Some times I decide to sell something due to lack of interest - only to find out I'm interested in playing vinyl again.

Regardless of which one you decide on a better cartridge should improve sound quality. Seems like cartridges are like speakers - one of those things that can make the most notable differences in sound quality. At least thats been my experience.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am gonna say SL-1200.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Check Music Direct ProJect Debut III and the Music Hall 2.2 both $400-$450 TT's on sale for less than the Marantz or the AT-LP 120 and better Turntables than both too.:)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You should look at the Project Essential III. New it's $299 and comes with a nice Ortofon OM-10 cartridge. It's a much better turntable than the two you listed for around the same price range. This would be what I suggest if you already have a phono preamp or a receiver that has a phono preamp built into it. If you don't have either then the Audio Technica AT-LP120 would be a decent place to start since it has a built in phono preamp. Another option in the same price range is the Music Hall 1.1 that just came out. It also has a phono preamp built in if needed. Of course you can disable any built in preamp if you prefer to use something different.

Here is the link to the Project Essential III.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/projessentialiiiblka/pro-ject-essential-iii-belt-drive-turntable-piano-black/1.html#!specifications

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts