AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been a loyal Denon fan. I've had a Denon AVR in my very simple system for almost 20 years. My first Denon was a 3802 that I bought back in 2000/2001. That unit remained in my system for 16 years. Around year 14, the unit would no longer power up using the front power switch, but could be switched on using the remote, no big deal. When we moved, I made a substantial upgrade and purchased a new X4200W. The new receiver was leaps and bounds better than my 3802 ever was. One month later...dead. HDMI board fried. Amazon sent me a new receiver, sealed in box, DOA. HDMI board, dead. On to unit 3. Amazon wouldn't send me a third unit so I purchased one from Crutchfield, factory sealed, new. The new unit lasted almost 4 years. POP!!! smoke!! Something fried, now the unit won't even power on. Like one of the posters above, it's getting power but by the time the soft start relay clicks on, it powers down immediately and the red power light flashes rapidly. I hear this is not good. This was a relatively expensive receiver. I'm seriously considering a brand change but my Denon is extremely integrated into my system and controlled through IP, including all feedback. I would hate to have to learn a new protocol all over again. Has Denon slipped in reliability? Are there other brands that statistically have better reliability? I can't keep doing this.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Has Denon slipped in reliability? Are there other brands that statistically have better reliability?

I don't have any links to back it up but you will get a lot of opinions on this subject. Many on here will likely post that Yamaha has a better reputation for reliability as far as hardware goes.

There are a LOT of denon complaints on audio forums these days about heat and HDMI boards failing.

Reactions: junior00027

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Historically Yamaha is generally thought of as the most reliable brand, but Denon's not thought of as slouch either. Onkyo brings us the rear as far as reliability is concerned.

I haven't read much about Denon HDMI boards failing but I'm sure it happens. I had an Onkyo processor's HDMI board fail seven or eight years ago, but I've also an an Anthem HDMI board fail too. Today's receivers are probably not built in such a way to make them them most durable pieces of equipment, they are complex, margins are low, competition is high, and corners are cut.

Reactions: JD23

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
HDMI module on my newest Denon blew out right after warranty expired, sounds like its not uncommon anymore, and its not worth repairing. Previous Denon AVR lasted a while but eventually died. I liked them when they worked, but my last purchase was a used Yamaha AVR which has been rock solid for a few years now.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I do think consumer electronics these days are made with smaller tolerances on components and are more prone to failure. The biggest issue with HDMI is they are highly susceptible the ESD (electro static discharge) especially from static discharge during electrical storms. Keeping your humidity as high as possible when winter heating is a good preventive measure even over and above surge protection at least here in the US where we have fairly reliable household AC.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i had the 3802 as well. thing was a monster. used it until i needed 4k pass through capabilities...still have it in a box downstairs and it’s going into the garage this summer. went to pioneer 2 years ago because of the killer deal i got (more than 50% off new).

dont regret getting the pioneer elite, but i may switch to marantz in the next couple of years.

sorry about your denon problems. said this today earlier...”they dont make em like they used to”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,451 Posts
Over the years I've had a , 2807CI, 3808CI, AVR-989, AVR-591, AVR-1613, X2400 and x3300. Still have all except the 989 and 2807 which I gave away in good working condition. None have had HDMI problems.

Many say they are susceptible to overheating so I've added Aircom cooling fans to the x Series models just in case.

The lone Yamaha I purchased for someone else had a HDMI board failure in just over a year. Had to send it in for warranty repair. It is an Aventage RX-A760, so even Yamaha can have board failures.

I'd definitely recommend an Aircom cooling fan if you have your AVR in a cabinet or enclosed area. Sorry you've had so many problems with your x4200. Maybe these newer X series have board failures because they can handle 4K signals and processing and get hot while the older models only did 1080p?

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
***I use fans, as well, on my Denon x5200. I find Denon's "run hot" and really need fans to keep at an optimal working temperature. I use AC Infinity fans with a programmable thermostat to keep my older Denon x5200 running in tip top shape. The fans cycle on and off at any temperature over 89 degrees Fahrenheit.

I believe they are a "must" with Denon AVR's. I've had Yamaha's in the past and they run cooler. That's my experience. Maybe check with JDSmoothie who is the AVS Forum Denon Guru.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over the years I've had a , 2807CI, 3808CI, AVR-989, AVR-591, AVR-1613, X2400 and x3300. Still have all except the 989 and 2807 which I gave away in good working condition. None have had HDMI problems.

Many say they are susceptible to overheating so I've added Aircom cooling fans to the x Series models just in case.

The lone Yamaha I purchased for someone else had a HDMI board failure in just over a year. Had to send it in for warranty repair. It is an Aventage RX-A760, so even Yamaha can have board failures.

I'd definitely recommend an Aircom cooling fan if you have your AVR in a cabinet or enclosed area. Sorry you've had so many problems with your x4200. Maybe these newer X series have board failures because they can handle 4K signals and processing and get hot while the older models only did 1080p?
Thanks for the tip on the fan. Although my first two 4200's were HDMI related, I don't believe that to be the case this time. Seems it's some kind of power supply problem.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I remember reading somewhere here where some guy was a loyal Denon fan and the more recent Denons that he bought lasted less long. I think it was 5 or 6 of them and the last one (with replacement) didn't last very long. He was fed up.

Sorry, can't remember where or when the dude posted but sometime late last year.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Thanks for the tip on the fan. Although my first two 4200's were HDMI related, I don't believe that to be the case this time. Seems it's some kind of power supply problem.
***Ahh - another important part of home theater. Clean power. I use a Furman Power Conditioner and there are others on the market like the Panamax Power Protection, as well. But you might have just gotten a bum AVR circuit board, too. It happens. But if it occurred multiple times with Denon's - - then to me, they are possibly overheating or, as you say, a power supply and/or power protection issue. Keep the faith. It will work out and you will solve the problem. I'd check to make sure any of the factors we listed above are not in play - - otherwise, you can look for a Yamaha or other AVR's that work best for you.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
***Ahh - another important part of home theater. Clean power. I use a Furman Power Conditioner and there are others on the market like the Panamax Power Protection, as well. But you might have just gotten a bum AVR circuit board, too. It happens. But if it occurred multiple times with Denon's - - then to me, they are possibly overheating or, as you say, a power supply and/or power protection issue. Keep the faith. It will work out and you will solve the problem. I'd check to make sure any of the factors we listed above are not in play - - otherwise, you can look for a Yamaha or other AVR's that work best for you.
Thanks for the assurance. My receiver is in an open cabinet with about 5" of open air above it. I guess it is possible that heat, over time, could be responsible.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Note that for Denon and Marantz...
Their entry-level and mid-range AVRs are outsourced and built in Vietnam by Sherwood (Inkel)...
It is a challenge to assure tight quality control through a 3rd party...

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I had a similar experience in the late 2000s with Marantz. Two different amps crapped out on me.

I'm sure they're great, and lots of people love them, but that did it for me. I have an Anthem these days, and I love it.

Everybody has a bad experience like this with some item. Some of it is dumb luck, but it leaves an indelible mark.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A few years ago I brought a new 2xxx series Denon that was doa, it was sent back and was not replaced with another Denon.

In that time And prior to I have had Yamaha and onkyo both without issue. Currently have a new Denon x series with a hdmi issue which I was considering changing over to the x3600.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A few years ago I brought a new 2xxx series Denon that was doa, it was sent back and was not replaced with another Denon.

In that time And prior to I have had Yamaha and onkyo both without issue. Currently have a new Denon x series with a hdmi issue which I was considering changing over to the x3600.
Everyone seems to crap all over Sony's here, but I've had two in row that have been rock solid. My current 9 year old STR-DN1020 is the grandfather of the current STR-DN1080 and it's been rock solid without a single problem. It's on every day for nearly the past decade. You guys might want to give them a look. Yamaha's also don't have many issues - which is probably a contributing factor to them being the #1 selling AVR brand. I believe Sony is #3 .

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Everyone seems to crap all over Sony's here, but I've had two in row that have been rock solid. My current 9 year old STR-DN1020 is the grandfather of the current STR-DN1080 and it's been rock solid without a single problem. It's on every day for nearly the past decade. You guys might want to give them a look. Yamaha's also don't have many issues - which is probably a contributing factor to them being the [URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] selling AVR brand. I believe Sony is [URL=https://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 [/URL] .

Interesting.....I never would have guessed Yamaha would be the #1 selling AVR (or that Sony would be #3 for that matter). Sony ES gear used to be fantastic, but you don't hear about them much anymore for whatever reason.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts