AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just do it !!! I have had a AT screen for about 4 years now and still insist it is one of the hugest improvements yet to my system. Having the center behind the screen and mounted where the voice usually is, cant be matched !

Kg

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran /forum/post/20846720

Just do it !!! I have had a AT screen for about 4 years now and still insist it is one of the hugest improvements yet to my system. Having the center behind the screen and mounted where the voice usually is, cant be matched !

Kg

Not much to go on.....

If the material you used to create a AT Screen was "not" a Mfg. material specifically made for use as a AT screen surface, then by all means, contribute some details...and really help bring others into the fold.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine was the last of the SMX material they got rid of before going commercial.

It is 9' wide by 4' tall. The frame is square aluminum tubing with solid machined corners. I picked up some black felt from Joannes and thats about it.

My mains are the WTMW from the HT Guide. At that time i also was reading about CIH, and that was the time to do it. i picked up an AussieMorphic lens from CAVX, which was the MKII.

While i love my subs and what they did inrespect to the sound, the screen was the icing on the cake

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Mine was the last of the SMX material they got rid of before going commercial.

It is 9' wide by 4' tall. The frame is square aluminum tubing with solid machined corners. I picked up some black felt from Joannes and thats about it.

My mains are the WTMW from the HT Guide. At that time i also was reading about CIH, and that was the time to do it. i picked up an AussieMorphic lens from CAVX, which was the MKII.

While i love my subs and what they did inrespect to the sound, the screen was the icing on the cake
does anyone know of some manufacturers to get just quality AT material other than the general big boys like stewart or smx? I would love to make the frame via DIY but unless I can get cheap enough, yet high enough quality AT material, I might as well buy the full thing rather than DIY.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for how far back from the screen the L/C/R speakers should sit? How about how far in from the screen edges should the L/R speakers sit? I don't want to hear any vibrations or anything like that from the sound resonating with the metal frame.

Thanks,

Rukus

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts
To get info on Mfg Screen products, post up over on the "Screens" forum. On DIY Screens we do not advocate the use of material made specifically for use as "screen material".

The older SMX material was actually made to use for something else, so kgveteran's screen did in fact qualify. These days, true DIY'ers usually consider a reflective Spandex material. in truth, it performs even mo'bedder than even SMX or Stewart material as far as it's AT properties.

Ahhhh, Ok.
Go here:

http://www.seymourav.com/screensDIY.asp

Actual mfg AT material doesn't come any less expensive than that.

.........but I was never here.

·
Premium Member
4,894 Posts
What is the reflective spandex of which you speak? I've got a DIY screen made with the Seymour material but am looking for something with more gain but still AT. I would really love to find a polarization retaining AT screen so I could use some spare projectors for passive 3d.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans /forum/post/20870881

What is the reflective spandex of which you speak? I've got a DIY screen made with the Seymour material but am looking for something with more gain but still AT. I would really love to find a polarization retaining AT screen so I could use some spare projectors for passive 3d.

I was referring to a Spandex that has just enough sheen to be considered at least a 1.0 gain material. Some varieties that are "Silver" actually do have significantly higher Gain values.

However, to be a true "Polarization retaining" surface, and such material would have to contain a reflective metallic (...as in actual Metal...) content, either embedded within the Fibers or applied as a coating.

While some definate inroads have been made toward developing Passive 3D -oriented coatings for retractable s, the very nature of the porosity factor of any variety of AT-capable material would tend to highlight the "spaces" as being darker points. Since most all Passive "solid" Screens already exhibit a noticeable "Granularity", a surface that already has holes that create light drop offs would only be that much worse for viewing Passive 3D.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
It has been quite some time since I posted in this forum, but I'm looking to make a new AT screen and I'm wondering what happend to people using Phiffer Shearweave 4500 in chalk. That is what I've been using for the last number of years and have been very happy with it. I've considered going to the Seymour material, but the phiffer never really let me down and it can be had for less. Did I miss the boat here? Is this "spandex" really better than the shearweave?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar /forum/post/20910289

It has been quite some time since I posted in this forum, but I'm looking to make a new AT screen and I'm wondering what happend to people using Phiffer Shearweave 4500 in chalk. That is what I've been using for the last number of years and have been very happy with it. I've considered going to the Seymour material, but the phiffer never really let me down and it can be had for less. Did I miss the boat here? Is this "spandex" really better than the shearweave?

Phiffer Shearweave 4500 represented a true "DIY'ers find"...a material not specifically intended for use as a AT projection surface, but one that more than sufficed at being one. It's being not as expensive as any actual AT material help further it's desirability.

Spandex is even better at providing AT properties, at a lessor cost usually, plus adds the ability of 2-way / 4-way stretching which can make installation onto a frame far easier than any of the normally considered materials.

But spandex material can vary widely, and the trick to finding something that works exceptionally well as far as being an excellent reflective surface involves either doing some meticulous searching and trial by samples, or the good fortune of being told exactly what someone else has found, tried, and not found wanting in that department.

And by a rule...it's always gonna be a lot less expensive that any true AT material, and usually bests out PSW 4500 in that regard as well.

To discuss the Seymour AT material, you have to take that to "Screens"....and pay out some extra cash to boot.

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan /forum/post/20911221

Phiffer Shearweave 4500 represented a true "DIY'ers find"...a material not specifically intended for use as a AT projection surface, but one that more than sufficed at being one. It's being not as expensive as any actual AT material help further it's desirability.

Spandex is even better at providing AT properties, at a lessor cost usually, plus adds the ability of 2-way / 4-way stretching which can make installation onto a frame far easier than any of the normally considered materials.

But spandex material can vary widely, and the trick to finding something that works exceptionally well as far as being an excellent reflective surface involves either doing some meticulous searching and trial by samples, or the good fortune of being told exactly what someone else has found, tried, and not found wanting in that department.

And by a rule...it's always gonna be a lot less expensive that any true AT material, and usually bests out PSW 4500 in that regard as well.

To discuss the Seymour AT material, you have to take that to "Screens"....and pay out some extra cash to boot.

Thanks so much for the thorough response... I wasn't too surprised when I saw your presence here long after I had departed, glad to see the passion still in you.

I think I may just stick with the devil I know here and order up some more PSW rather than put out a little more for the Seymour.

I certainly considered following your instructions for a sprayed screen but in the end my room is only so wide and I want every possible inch of it used for my screen and won't 'sacrifice' the 8" - 12" of screen width to accommodate my speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.