Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing my AT.

During playback, there is digital skipping going on randomly. Basically, I hear audible data garbage during playback. Lasts a second to two seconds.

It also sounds like DirecTV when heavy rain arrives and the audio starts garbling into digital garbage.

Sounds like a network hiccup, but not sure.

What can be done to minimize or eliminate? Does anyone else experience?

My set up:

- Dell Desktop (Pentium 3, 600mhz, 256 MB RAM)

- WinXP Pro

- Western Digital External HD w/ firewire (7200 rpm) - home for music library

- Network Hardware Config: Desktop Linksys Router (BEFSR41) Linksys hub (NH1005 v2) Audiotron

- CD Ripper: WMP9 (WMA:192kbps)

Thanks,

Duffin

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Why do you have this:

Linksys hub (NH1005 v2) Audiotron ?

You don't mention anything, but is there some other device using that hub? Try connecting the Audiotron directly to this connection, rather than thru the hub. If you must share the hub between the AT and some other device, then consider getting a switch instead of a hub, for higher throughput.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
first off, have you flashed up to v3.0? I believe, from looking at the change logs, that 1.xx was pretty flakey. I've flash up twice now on one box (1.xx to 2.xx to 3.0). 3.0 is reasonably stable, much better than previous releases. Also, as I recall, this is the first release that really properly supports WMA

Since these are digital files and the network protcols dont allow delivery of garbage packets (they get tossed and resent), I suspect its the WMA decoder in the AT. Network traffic problems should result in silent gaps.

Of course, you could be discovering why the machine was for sale on eBay, too.

Try playing MP3 files. If they play OK, its the FW support. Flash away baby! Its pretty easy. Of course, I still think you should dump that icky WMA stuff but you've made your choice :)

Phil

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.