AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use this as a base material for making an AT screen? I'm sure people have tried given a cheap AT screen being the holy grail and all
. Would love to hear any comments if someone around here (MM, I'm looking at you??) has tried it or know someone who did?

Thanks,

Rukus

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 /forum/post/20901992

Anyone use this as a base material for making an AT screen? I'm sure people have tried given a cheap AT screen being the holy grail and all
. Would love to hear any comments if someone around here (MM, I'm looking at you??) has tried it or know someone who did?

Thanks,

Rukus

You lookin' at me...you lookin' at ME?

Ok.

I suppose that if such cloth was colored a light to medium Gray or a nearly opaque White, and the weave was tight enough it might be more than acceptable. But finding such in large enough bolts to make a sizable screen might be tough. As well as disproportionately expensive.

On the other hand, 4-way stretch Spandex material has been tried, and to very good effect.

As for a cheap AT Screen being the "Holy Grail"...naw, too many variables are involved that go beyond the actual screen itself. But for certain sure, anyone who really-truly needs / desires such a screen and who has priced Mfg AT materials or screens just might genuflect a bit to such an affordable DIY entity.

But please....no Burnt Offerings....thank you very much.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to stop looking at you! (but please still respond).

This is what peaked my interest when I was looking for some material for a friend of mine and the idea (by no means original I'm sure) struck me:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-334

Looks cheap, no?

The thing I'm worried about it any texture of the grill cloth causing issues with the image sharpness. Might call them and see if I can get a sample.

If it turns out that texture is no issue, I wonder if we can do here what was done in the spandex thread you linked me to a few days ago. Maybe one layer of white and one layer of black behind it?

Thoughts?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
25,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukus29 /forum/post/20902290

I need to stop looking at you! (but please still respond).

This is what peaked my interest when I was looking for some material for a friend of mine and the idea (by no means original I'm sure) struck me:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=260-334

Looks cheap, no?

The thing I'm worried about it any texture of the grill cloth causing issues with the image sharpness. Might call them and see if I can get a sample.

Cheap? Yes. But sometimes that is what makes a DIY idea breathe real fire.

Texture is my biggest concern as well. A sample would be wise.

Quote:
If it turns out that texture is no issue, I wonder if we can do here what was done in the spandex thread you linked me to a few days ago. Maybe one layer of white and one layer of black behind it?

Thoughts?

That too would be wise.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the confirmations. I'm trying to get my hand in some samples this week or next. Will post back what I think of the texture (though I'm sure I can guess now based on my speakers..)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Plus one of the comments mentions it is very thin, somewhat translucent, which could be a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.