AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FWIW...I called AT&T Broadband this afternoon to see if I could get any specific information regarding the press release from 5/9/02 about them offering HBO, Showtime, FOX and NBC in HD this Summer.

I didn't get any dates from them, other than "this Summer".

I did, however, find out what equiptment they will be using. The nice lady told me the receiver that they would be renting to us was a Motorolla HDD 200 ( http://gicout50.gic.gi.com/GIHomepa.nsf/?Open ).

I've never heard of it, but then again I'm really a newbie to this type of stuff...so a google.com search showed me the unit in all it's glory. To bad it didn't have an input for my OTA antenna.

Anyone familiar with this receiver? Pro's...Con's...comments? complaints?

Just curious to hear...

Tom

PS...the color seems horrible on my Sony SAT HD100 when I view OTA broadcasting....I'm thinking of returning the Sony and considering the Hughes HIRD E86, if I can find one in the $450 range...from reading various posts, the Hughes seems a safe bet....the DTC100 seems nice as well, but I'd have to kick in another $100 or more for the converter...

·
Registered
877 Posts
The HDD200 is the decoder used for C-band HD channels. They've been available now for about two years. There is no OTA tuner onboard, so no reason for an input.

Hopefully you will have the newer firmware, as the original firmware had some problems with some sets (Panasonic PT-56WXF95 in particular).

The unit works well enough....although it lacks a remote. The only button on the unit is the power button, and it seems to do nothing but turn on/off the slanted green light on the front panel. The unit seems to stay on while plugged in though....as it stays warm regardless of power status. I just leave mine on all the time. It sometimes needs a system reset, which requires pulling the plug for a few seconds. Outside of that it's a workable product. Did they say how much they were going to rent them for? They can be had from Canada for around $350 I believe, but the model number there is the HDD201. Same unit though.

Chris

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The figure for renting the unit that I saw in the press release was 10.95/month.

I read up a little on the unit and saw, as you mentioned, not for use for OTA.

Tom

I have a Toshiba 57HX81...hope it doesn't have issues with that....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.