AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe that the "Crank" Blu Ray has an uncompressed 7.1 PCM track. Even though the audio setup says "English 6.1 PCM", my receiver and the PS3 both say that the stream is actually 7.1... and it is far better than the DD EX track.

The OSD of the PS3 says:

Linear PCM 7.1 ch 48kHz 6.1Mbps

My receiver has a display matrix of boxes that illuminate according to which channels are active in digital sources:

L box = Left front

C box = Center

R box = Right front

SL = Left Surround

S = Mono Surround

SR = Right Surround

SBL = Left Surround back

SB = Mono Surround back

SBR = Right Surround back

LFE = The deep goodness

Playing Crank, the receiver shows L,C,R,SL,SR,SBL,SBR and LFE. "PCM" is displayed in big letters as the source material.

Say what you want about the movie (and me for buying it), it sounds awesome.

·
Banned
469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/0

Man, I really thought all Blu-ray players could support this audio via HDMI, But this is not so....
I am picking up the title tonight if BB or CC has it.

Which one don't? The Panasonic does. Didn't you have some problems with the Descent? Did you them resolved?

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
There is no resolution. The Samsung only has 5.1 analog out, and that is all it will give you when you select lpcm over 5.1 as well. This has been confirmed. I knew going in that it did not have advanced audio support but I thought for sure it would give me what ever LPCM was available. But it won't. I'm generally Ok with it though, I knew advanced audio or lack there of was it's rap before purchase.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins /forum/post/0

I believe the difference is the movie only has 6.1 DISCRETE channels... the rear channel gets duplicated to make it 7.1 to your receiver...

Chris

Where does the rear channel get duplicated? If it is on the disc that way then it would still be 7.1, even if both SB channels are the same. Are you thinking the Playstation is duplicating the channel?

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
"Descent" also shows 6.1 on the cover but my receiver "receives" 7.1. When I play Titanic (SD DVD) which is DTS 6.1 discrete my receiver always show the 7.1 as active channels.

Sergio

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

The audio is encoded as 7.1 discrete channels on the disc. The rear channels were duplicated in the authoring.

You can do the math on this too:

48000Hz * 16-bit = 768000 bits per second * 8 channels = 6144000 bits per second (6.1Mbps)

Awesome! I am not crazy. I had just come back in here to post on some testing I just did with the PS3 and a Blade II (DTS-ES)... I won't go into that now.

The best news is that it appears that I have lucked into not having to upgrade my receiver as it properly sees 7.1 PCM.

Thanks!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdhender /forum/post/0

May I ask what kind of receiver you're using and how pleased you are with it? I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade from a 5.1 setup.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV. I bought it a year ago and I love it, but they don't make it anymore. Maybe there are deals for them on Ebay. Pioneer is on the VSX-8x series now and I don't know much about them.

I try to stay away from the forums for equipment I buy to help with the upgrade-itis
. There are plenty of 8x threads in the receiver forum though.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
LowStealth,

There are work arounds with the Pioneer 84txsi. That is the unit I am running. The sound quality is great and I don't have a ton of HDMI problems. Auto room calibration. 4 HDMI inputs.

Very nice unit for the price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.