AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the store to pull the trigger on a demo Samsung un65hu8700 but it was gone :( . I then decided to go with by backup a Samsung 65UH8550 for $2000. However, they just offered me a 2015 LG65uf8500 that came in today for $2500. Anyone able to compare the two or know enough about the LG to help me decide?? As the salesman is trying to talk me into the LG (high price)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you care about black levels/contrast or viewing angles?
Viewing angles, not really. Every will pretty much sit directly in front of the TV 15 ft out. Black levels yet but I'm coming from a 52LCD I bought in 2008 and I thougth that had great black levels. I dosn't have to be black as midnight but black enough.

The Sammy 8550 65inch I can get for 2000.
The LG 8500 65 inch for 2500.

·
Registered
17,447 Posts
Viewing angles, not really. Every will pretty much sit directly in front of the TV 15 ft out. Black levels yet but I'm coming from a 52LCD I bought in 2008 and I thougth that had great black levels. I dosn't have to be black as midnight but black enough.

The Sammy 8550 65inch I can get for 2000.
The LG 8500 65 inch for 2500.
The samsung 8550 will have great black levels compared to the lg(VA panel vs ips). The 8550 will be getting an upgrade box in april that will greatly improve picture clarity and have better color too. LG's cannot be upgraded. It will basically be a completely different tv when the upgrades hit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. I'm was leaning towards the Sammy. Not to mention its $500 cheaper. I've had good luck with Samsung but keep hearing that LG has some great tv's. I'm sure times have changed as well but when I bought my Plasma I prefered the quality of the Active 3d glasses over the 3d. Though this TV will be sitting a little high 'over a fireplace' due to an old house layout.

·
Registered
18,856 Posts
The samsung 8550 will have great black levels compared to the lg(VA panel vs ips). The 8550 will be getting an upgrade box in april that will greatly improve picture clarity and have better color too. LG's cannot be upgraded. It will basically be a completely different tv when the upgrades hit.
But you have to pay for the One Connect box or what ever it is called which is another $300 or so. Some LG's are supposed to be able to be upgraded to fully compliant HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 with a board swap so the OP might want to check if that's an option or not. I do agree about the black levels. S-PVA panels in general have much better blacks than the S-IPS panels but the off-axis viewing on an S-PVA panel can be atrocious. It's what ever you are willing to live with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.