AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't always want it totally dark. This is why ALR screens are so popular, but it would be convenient to have the speakers behind the screen but I don't know if that would be a good set-up for Def Tech 2002's that have rear facing drivers.
I read that the best AT screens are weaved and can't do ALR, only the micro-perfed ones can do that. I also don't see how an AT screen can give as good a picture as a standard or ALR screen because there is the weave and that has to soften the picture.
I'm asking those that switched to a AT screen, is the picture and/or sound not as good as pre AT screen and was it worth the tradeoff.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a JVC RS2000/NX7. I now have a 120" 16X9, Carada white 1.0. I'm moving my theater to a dedicated room and want to move up to a 130" 16X9 screen. Thanks

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
In a dedicated room that is treated with dark non reflective wall/ceiling surfaces an ALR screen is not required. As long as you have direct task lighting you can have a fair amount of light on without sacrificing PQ, If you don't treat the room any light on and even just the projector light will compromise PQ and an ALR screen can help but it is just a brand aide.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say "direct task lighting" do you mean recessed led's shooting straight down? Thanks

·
Registered
5,236 Posts

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
584 Posts
I don't always want it totally dark. This is why ALR screens are so popular, but it would be convenient to have the speakers behind the screen but I don't know if that would be a good set-up for Def Tech 2002's that have rear facing drivers.
I read that the best AT screens are weaved and can't do ALR, only the micro-perfed ones can do that. I also don't see how an AT screen can give as good a picture as a standard or ALR screen because there is the weave and that has to soften the picture.
I'm asking those that switched to a AT screen, is the picture and/or sound not as good as pre AT screen and was it worth the tradeoff.
Microperf screens will actually provide a sharper image than a woven surface if the perforated surface is textureless.

The Stewart Firehawk Perf is a great example of a perforated ALR surface that will provide a sharper image than any woven material that I have seen as a weave introduces texture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts