AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No specific forum for this...

We all like to support our local audio shop.

However, we all must have a point where we just have to consider giving our hard earned cash to another establishment.

Example: a pair of speakers selling new for 3000 at your local shop, yes the one that allowed you to audition them. Now you find an online company (with warranty) that sales the same pair (including shipping) for 2000.

1000 bones is serious.

What do you do?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

i'm lucky enough to have a long standing relationship with my "guy"... so my viewpoint may be a bit skewed... but here's my opinion...

i'd give the local guy the chance to give me a better price than he first gave me...

if he gets it to $2500, i buy from him... if he doesn't, i offer to pay him for the time that he spent with me auditioning the speakers, and am honest with him and tell him that i can't pay a 50% premium for the same units... as a small business owner myself, i can't in good conscience "steal" his time...

"the best deal" isn't equal to "the best price"...

personal examples...

when the 8g kuros first came out, i could have bought from a forum sponsor for several hundred dollars less than my local guy... i bought from my local guy... when it turned out to have ONE stuck pixel, he sent his guys out, picked it up, replaced it, and he dealt with pioneer on the first panel...

when i bought my susano, i gave him an opportunity to come close to the price of "roman's great susano fire sale"... i was completely upfront with him, and he was upfront with me in that he couldn't come close to that price... and there was no "problem with that" on either side of the table...

imo, ymmv, etc.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have a long history and a very good working relationship with my local dealer. In the example that you cite I would approach him directly, no beating around the bush, and ask him what he was willing to do to retain my business. While I wouldn't necessarily expect him to match an online deal to the penny - he has expenses that most online vendors don't have - I'd be willing to pay a bit more for the service and convenience that my local guy offers.

If my local guy wouldn't budge on price at all it would be difficult to give up that $1000 saving. I might thank him for his time and explain that I'm going with the online deal this time but I hope that we can get together on future purchases. If he's understanding about it - great. I'll most certainly be back. If not, he probably doesn't care enough to retain you as a customer to begin with! Unfortunately there are all too many local shops that operate that way. It says a whole bunch for the disappearance of the old time B&M stores. A sad situation to say the least.

·
Banned
4,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj
^^^

when i bought my susano, i gave him an opportunity to come close to the price of "roman's great susano fire sale"... i was completely upfront with him, and he was upfront with me in that he couldn't come close to that price... and there was no "problem with that" on either side of the table...

imo, ymmv, etc.
Those were the days lol

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

that, my friend, is for sure!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses, which have raised this question:

how can a B&M ever compete with a online retailer?

The example I gave is real, so how can someone sell the same exact product for 33% less?

Is the B&M making that much money?

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
An internet seller has almost no overhead, no inventory and no product knowledge, compared to a brick & mortar..

Simply an 800 #..

And in most instances he draws the inventory from a distributor, who drop ships it to the customer.

So an internet seller will always have a lower price, everything is fine until you need warranty service..

But in today's down economy every $ saved can be crucial..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have yet to find a dealer who's done enough for me to want to continue to buy from them vs the internet.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman
I have yet to find a dealer who's done enough for me to want to continue to buy from them vs the internet.
Thats been my experience as well. I have found that most local dealers look at you and decide right there if they want to help you or not based on how much you look like you can spend. I would gladly spend more for a relationship with a local guy but I have been treated much bettet by internet companies to be honest.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
If I could find a shop near me I could build a relationship with then I would pay a little more to shop there. But with ID companies like SVS its really hard for me to want to shop B&M stores. We HAD a great shop with great staff but the owner has a bit of a gambler and best buy didn't help either. Oh to the days...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I've been down that road twice this year with my local dealer. I've told him what my internet price was and he's matched or beaten it. I've always told him that if he didn't I'd order through the internet and he's always come through.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48
I've been down that road twice this year with my local dealer. I've told him what my internet price was and he's matched or beaten it. I've always told him that if he didn't I'd order through the internet and he's always come through.
Wow, you are lucky!

I would never expect, or ask the B&M to match a internet price. I'm well aware of his costs of the store and employees, etc. Having the opportunity to call someone by first name when you need help, I just don't think you can put a price on that.

But when it comes to saving 33%, well jeez, I gotta reconsider saving the coin, especially when there's this forum that has multiple times over the experience of any single B&M!

Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19605306

Is this what we're doomed to?

Maybe the average buyer out there doesn't warrant having a B&M that could be considered a local audio/video professional. Just walk in to BB or Ultimate and you'll see what I mean.

What a shame.

But I really do want to save 1000 bucks on a single component. Add that up over the entire system...

...I've just upgraded before I've bought anything.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
it's tough love for the B&M these days. Some B&M's I deal with are very good at giving me a rock bottom price. When it's within 10-15%, I won't bother with going online. But sometimes you see the clearouts at some online dealers (especially for me, in the US) that are just too much to pass up. It's sad when I had to order my made in Canada Mirage speakers from Vanns, drive to the border and still get them cheaper than my local dealers.

Some brands you have no choice anyway, like B&W and Paradigm. I have to get them locally, because they don't allow internet sales. But others, there is little reason for my to buy them locally, because Internet prices are so much better most of the time.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well saving thousands is a huge savings but, I have to agree with a few of the others. Give the local guy a chance, I havent been let down yet. Sometimes it takes more than just walking in saying "hey i can buy this for X less than you! So you gonna meet or beat the price?". I enjoy spending a bit of time with the guys, chatting, listening to what ever may be playing, talking with the other folks who walk in the door. Seems like everytime I go in now I get the price they are asking then with no prompting the price goes down quite a bit, spen some time chatting and usually the price drops even more. Many times the price I end up getting is equal to and sometimes better than anything I find online. Plus they always fix anyproblem quick and fairly, even to the point of giving loaners. I have been present when they simply take the bad component from a customer and give them a new one then deal with the bad unit on their own. Plus its always good to support your local business as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have no use for the local dealers around here. They don't stock anything except what's on display, although it seems it was always just put out yesterday...yeah right.
They are more than happy to order anything I want, for full retail, and no returns on "special orders". This isn't a new development either, it's been that way for decades.

I decided I could mail order things myself way back in the early 80's, save a ton of money, get NEW equipment, and not have to listen to stories about magic cables and accessories. I don't miss the dealer experience at all. The internet has made that even better.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I don't need coddling from a dealer. I don't care if they know my name or can send my equipment back for me if there's a problem. I know how to make a phone call and how to use the UPS and FedEx websites.

I do my own research ahead of time and if I need/want to audition something before buying (rare), I try to do that myself without wasting anyone's time and then I buy from the place with the best price. Now, if the price were within 5-10% of an online dealer's price, I might not bother. But it almost never is unless you are lucky enough to find a great closeout deal or open box item locally.

But maybe I'm just cheap.

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19605306

yup. Hardly any local dealers here (went to one guy, and he was mostly doing business with car installs). Like someone said, I feel like most already make up their minds before you enter the store. If you didn't pull up in a mercedes, or have money bursting out of your pockets, then "why bother?"

·
Registered
354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 /forum/post/19605829

I have no use for the local dealers around here. They don't stock anything except what's on display, although it seems it was always just put out yesterday...yeah right.
They are more than happy to order anything I want, for full retail, and no returns on "special orders". .

ditto

·
Registered
181 Posts
Tough Call, Depending on who you are.....

I DID save over $1000 from buying over the Internet, ( granted they were Being Let go as a delaer ) and thats was based on IF my Local dealer was giving me 25% Off MSRP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts