AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm planning to purchase a BenQ short throw projector (HT1085ST) and I'm wondering if pixelation may become a problem. I'm planning to sit about 7-8 feet from the screen and, using the projector calculator at Projector Central the screen size will be 147 in diagonally.

Is this waaay too ambitious? I'm planning to watch HD sports, stream Netflix & HBO Go, and use it as an alternate computer monitor. Though the projector is 1080p, I'm worried it will be too pixelated. A secondary concern is it will be too straining on the eyes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I just sat 7-8 feet from my 153" screen using my HW40....the pixel structure is such that I couldn't see the pixels but the image didn't look great, it looked really soft and kinda out of focus. Too close for a HD image in my opinion. 4K and it would probably work but not for HD.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
At what viewing distance/screen size does pixelation become an issue? 140in 8...

You're being too ambitious :)

Use the THX guidelines to work out what a comfortable viewing distance for your screen size (or vice-versa) is:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

For 147" diagonal, their seating-distance recommendation is over 14 feet - that's double yours!

That's not to say you can't go larger than THX recommendations; but the size/distance ratio you're looking at will have be straining to watch (and as you suspect, will make non-full-HD content look poor from that distance - especially the compressed broadcasts you'll be watching).

You do have enough brightness on-tap to light up a screen of this size; and SDE isn't much of an issue on DLP's, but your setup won't be comfortable to watch.

Get the projector, fire it up on the wall, get a feel for what size is comfortable (115" would be a good starting point), and take it from there. If ceiling mounting is in your future, you might want to save some cash and go with the non-short-throw model (HT1075 or maybe W1070).

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Hello,

I'm planning to purchase a BenQ short throw projector (HT1085ST) and I'm wondering if pixelation may become a problem. I'm planning to sit about 7-8 feet from the screen and, using the projector calculator at Projector Central the screen size will be 147 in diagonally.

Is this waaay too ambitious? I'm planning to watch HD sports, stream Netflix & HBO Go, and use it as an alternate computer monitor. Though the projector is 1080p, I'm worried it will be too pixelated. A secondary concern is it will be too straining on the eyes.

Thanks!
If your eyes were at 8' from the screen, that size screen would be OK for watching widescreen movies, but the image height for HDTV would be an eyestrain. Our field of vision is much wider than it is tall, so being 8' away from a 6' tall image would be uncomfortable.

Try placing your eyes that same ratio of distance to screen height from your computer monitor and see how it feels. Generally, sitting closer than twice the image height is not going to be comfortable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input! I had a feeling that would be too big at that distance.

My other thought is that, distance and size being equal, the strain caused by a projected image would be less than, say, a TV screen or computer monitor. I'm not sure if that's true, just a gut feeling.

A nifty feature of the 1085ST is you can project from a side angle. So what I think I'll do is place the projector on an end table, so I can easily adjust it back and forth a bit depending on screen size. Not a big deal to have an end table jutting out a bit more than normal while projecting.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
A nifty feature of the 1085ST is you can project from a side angle. So what I think I'll do is place the projector on an end table, so I can easily adjust it back and forth a bit depending on screen size. Not a big deal to have an end table jutting out a bit more than normal while projecting.
Uh ... no. The 1085ST cannot be off to the side. It must be dead center horizontally and a few inches below the bottom edge of the screen if table mounted.

·
Registered
7,236 Posts
My other thought is that, distance and size being equal, the strain caused by a projected image would be less than, say, a TV screen or computer monitor. I'm not sure if that's true, just a gut feeling.
Our field of view certainly does better with distance. So, it's really not the same when you move your eyes 12" from a 27" computer monitor. I consider about 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance to be about the most my clients have ever been comfortable with.

This can be done with keystone correction but should NEVER be used. You want that lens on dead center, and the projector lens should be about an inch above the screen (if ceiling mounted). The screen MUST be dead flat. No ripples or waves in the surface whatsoever.

It's much better to use the W1070 if your room allows for it.

At the end of the day, about 100" or so is about the max size I would do from that distance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts