AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
One recommendation: if you can't find someone local to double-check you, and you have a Youtube login, pull out your phone. Open up your Neutrik connectors, and video record your entire chain, including the positions of the wires in the Neutrik connectors, and the wiring inside your dev, if possible. Show us every connection, even show us your sub trim settings in AVR menus, crossover frequencies in AVR menus, current sound mode, EQ settings in amp interface. Let us help be your eyes. :)

As far as the ground loop issue, there is still a possibility its a wiring issue, but some guys on here recently have had some success with a Humx (just search Amazon for Humx).
I had planned on doing so. Just waiting to receive minidsp to add that to the mix and see if it helps. Once its in, I will post it for review and recommendations. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Interesting thing is that I do not have a cable box in the rack. I only have a

When you say "plug wire into outlet, do you mean that I connect speaker wire to Yamaha chassis screw at one end and plug in the other end of the speaker wire into the ground prong on the electrical outlet? Is it safe to do so?

attached pictures is what I was saying to try for a CATV connection most ground loops ive seen are caused by this. You dont have a cablebox but what about a cable modem or network tuner, anything thats connected to CATV coax?

Just to reiterate, this isn't a permanent solution, just a diagnostic to see if thats the issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I recently added an external amp to power some front height speakers and got a hum. By using the cheater plug on the amp and a ground wire between the receiver and the amp made 99% go away. But I did not like it setup like this so I bought off amazon this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A56CMUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After removing the cheater plug, ground wire, and installing this, all hum was gone. Just letting you know it worked in my situation and with Amazons great return policy it was worth the try.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
attached pictures is what I was saying to try for a CATV connection most ground loops ive seen are caused by this. You dont have a cablebox but what about a cable modem or network tuner, anything thats connected to CATV coax?

Just to reiterate, this isn't a permanent solution, just a diagnostic to see if thats the issue.
That is so helpful. Thank you, I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I recently added an external amp to power some front height speakers and got a hum. By using the cheater plug on the amp and a ground wire between the receiver and the amp made 99% go away. But I did not like it setup like this so I bought off amazon this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A56CMUO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After removing the cheater plug, ground wire, and installing this, all hum was gone. Just letting you know it worked in my situation and with Amazons great return policy it was worth the try.
Thanks @bluer101. I have this (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Y5DLBB/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B077Y5DLBB&pd_rd_w=Sg4mE&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=2P46i&pf_rd_r=CN5TPH9FV7AXKSJEAX4X&pd_rd_r=896bc0b8-a1c0-44d9-b1c6-a22336aeb9f9&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM0wzQUJGR1VTVTFBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODc2MjI5MUE0RjNWTDJSVU9NNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjg5MzMzMVBCTjVNMUxWMEM0MiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=) on order from amazon per @redfive recommendation. Will give it a shot if the one I have on order does not work. I wish amazon was able to deliver the way they used to but I guess slowness is the norm now in the COVID world.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
It sounds like you have multiple ground loops. The isolator might fix it, but you really should not remove the ground pin from the AC plug or use a cheater plug. If you want to revisit using a separate lower impedance wire to give current flowing through the ground wires a different path to flow, keep in mind that you need to connect it to something tied to the ground on both ends and want to use a wire that is lower impedance than the the signal ground wire. So if your amp for example has a plastic housing or is anodized, you might not make an electrical connection unless you find the right point of connection.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
It sounds like you have multiple ground loops. The isolator might fix it, but you really should not remove the ground pin from the AC plug or use a cheater plug. If you want to revisit using a separate lower impedance wire to give current flowing through the ground wires a different path to flow, keep in mind that you need to connect it to something tied to the ground on both ends and want to use a wire that is lower impedance than the the signal ground wire. So if your amp for example has a plastic housing or is anodized, you might not make an electrical connection unless you find the right point of connection.
Tried the isolator but it did not fix the issue. I have a Jensen CI-2RR IsoMax on order. Lets see if that helps. I am getting tired of this whole situation.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Tried the isolator but it did not fix the issue. I have a Jensen CI-2RR IsoMax on order. Lets see if that helps. I am getting tired of this whole situation.

I had this issue too. Mine was solvable with the jenson IT. (Isolation transformer) but an easy test to know if it will work is to have the setup all hooked up, and humming. Then pull the lfe signal wire out of the amp. If the hum goes away or gets better, the Jensen will help. If not, it won’t.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I had this issue too. Mine was solvable with the jenson IT. (Isolation transformer) but an easy test to know if it will work is to have the setup all hooked up, and humming. Then pull the lfe signal wire out of the amp. If the hum goes away or gets better, the Jensen will help. If not, it won’t.
I did try that and as long as I do not have the other end of the RCA connected to anything (amp or dsp) and one end connected to crown, there is no hum. Once I connect RCA on both crown and receiver or dsp even with no power to them (unplugged from outlet), I get the hum. So frustrating...

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I did try that and as long as I do not have the other end of the RCA connected to anything (amp or dsp) and one end connected to crown, there is no hum. Once I connect RCA on both crown and receiver or dsp even with no power to them (unplugged from outlet), I get the hum. So frustrating...

I believe the Jensen will help then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Its coming in today and I sincerely hope it does help. Will report back

I can’t wait for you to get this issue worked out. You are definitely gonna love the sub you built, once it’s working.
I also was hoping there was a avs diy member close to you to help you get it going.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I can’t wait for you to get this issue worked out. You are definitely gonna love the sub you built, once it’s working.
I also was hoping there was a avs diy member close to you to help you get it going.
Me too. Seems like no one from the NJ area here. Another issue is the whole lack of output issue from the amp (crown). Ordered a CleanBox Pro and hope it can help. Only getting signal light to light up on the crown with gain at max.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Me too. Seems like no one from the NJ area here. Another issue is the whole lack of output issue from the amp (crown). Ordered a CleanBox Pro and hope it can help. Only getting signal light to light up on the crown with gain at max.

Yup. That’s the real issue. If you can’t light up those led’s your amp isn’t doing anything. It’s gonna be exciting to see what you think.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Im curious if the speakon is wired wrong. Maybe you think its in the right spot and it isnt. Those holes are pretty small and the numbers even smaller. Shouldve been resloved by now. Take apart the speakon and post pictures. Pictures of everything helps the most.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts