AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
Im curious if the speakon is wired wrong. Maybe you think its in the right spot and it isnt. Those holes are pretty small and the numbers even smaller. Shouldve been resloved by now. Take apart the speakon and post pictures. Pictures of everything helps the most.

I think the key to this output issue is not being able to fully drive the amp. If you can’t light up the clip light your not properly driving the amp with enough voltage. Let’s see what the cleanbox does. We will know soon.
And I’m not suggesting that you don’t need to quadruple check the speakons and post pics.
Just saying that even without a speaker hooked up to the amp, the input signal should be high enough to drive the amp to clipping.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
Im curious if the speakon is wired wrong. Maybe you think its in the right spot and it isnt. Those holes are pretty small and the numbers even smaller. Shouldve been resloved by now. Take apart the speakon and post pictures. Pictures of everything helps the most.
Will do. Here's a picture I took before I closed the hatch. Will open connectors and will post pictures. Not sure why the images are rotated after attaching.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Opened all connectors and took pictures. Please take a look and advise if I have it wired correctly. I posted pictures of the driver earlier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It looks like the amp end is good +1 red, +2 black. The sub end you can do whatever you want, I usually go back to +1 red, -1 black. Just so long as the male cable terminal and the female plug use the same wiring scheme to the sub you are good. The signal chain looks good. AVR, Isolator, DSP and then amp. Is the hum still present?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
It looks like the amp end is good +1 red, +2 black. The sub end you can do whatever you want, I usually go back to +1 red, -1 black. Just so long as the male cable terminal and the female plug use the same wiring scheme to the sub you are good. The signal chain looks good. AVR, Isolator, DSP and then amp. Is the hum still present?
Thanks for confirming John. I too have it set at +1 red and -1 black at the sub end as shown in the pictures, followed by the same sequence at the driver end as well.

Hum is almost gone. With gain knob at max level, I hear some noise (more like white noise instead of hum) from the sub if I put my ear to it. If I dial the gain knob to 2'o clock position, its silent. Still have to test the sound quality. I am hoping that it does not get deteriorated as with what happened with the other isolator I used. Will report back on that later today.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hope I’m not hijacking your thread but I’m in a similar position re hum. I play music going from laptop hdmi -> Receiver -> Inuke
And get a low level hum
When I connect inuke vis USB laptop for the software the hum completely goes away!
Im thinking of getting a mini dsp 2x4hd just to mess around with, would adding this in the signal chain get rid of the hum without the laptop connect via usb? Many thanks

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Probably went over it but....

"Hold the MENU/SEL button for 1 second until the LCD screen displays the
MAIN MENU.
2. Highlight AMP MODE and press the MENU/SEL button to enter the AMP
MODE menu.
3. Press the NEXT button until BRIDGE is highlighted.
4. Press the MENU/SEL button to select BRIDGE mode.
5. Now the LCD screen displays the MAIN MENU. You may continue to the
CROSSOVER menu status screen which will now show that the amplifier is
in BRIDGE mode"

You are doing all that as well as the wireing? The speakon looks to be wired right. +1 and +2 then put it in speaker 1 output.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Probably went over it but....

"Hold the MENU/SEL button for 1 second until the LCD screen displays the
MAIN MENU.
2. Highlight AMP MODE and press the MENU/SEL button to enter the AMP
MODE menu.
3. Press the NEXT button until BRIDGE is highlighted.
4. Press the MENU/SEL button to select BRIDGE mode.
5. Now the LCD screen displays the MAIN MENU. You may continue to the
CROSSOVER menu status screen which will now show that the amplifier is
in BRIDGE mode"

You are doing all that as well as the wireing? The speakon looks to be wired right. +1 and +2 then put it in speaker 1 output.
Yup, I did put the amp in bridge mode with input senstivity set at .774V

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Hope I’m not hijacking your thread but I’m in a similar position re hum. I play music going from laptop hdmi -> Receiver -> Inuke
And get a low level hum
When I connect inuke vis USB laptop for the software the hum completely goes away!
Im thinking of getting a mini dsp 2x4hd just to mess around with, would adding this in the signal chain get rid of the hum without the laptop connect via usb? Many thanks
I am not sure as I too am trying to fix hum and gain issues. So far Jensen iso-max seems to have helped quite a bit on the hum issue.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It didn't totally eliminate the hum?
The sensitivity knob is opened 100% and the lower voltage option is active. There will be a little line noise there for sure. The sub and cabinet being very sensitive will add to that as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
The sensitivity knob is opened 100% and the lower voltage option is active. There will be a little line noise there for sure. The sub and cabinet being very sensitive will add to that as well.
I agree. Noise I am experiencing is not the hum I had before but more like a white noise kind of sound which disappears once I dial down the gain knob to around 2-3 o'clock position.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Quick update - I like how things sound after adding Clearbox Pro to the signal chain. Finally seeing some movement on the amp. Haven't really been able to dive into it much as family duty calls. Heading down in the basement soon to play around a bit and will report more details soon. Stay tuned ...:)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Has adulting required priority over playing with subs? I am curious how things are going with a Cleanbox in the mix :)
Hey John, had a couple of stressful days. My wife had a health scare but test results came out good so thankful for that. In addition, we had major layoff's at work and thankfully I survived it. Now that all those blockers are out of the way, I finally got a chance yesterday night to test a few things.

1) With everything hooked up, things are looking good. I now have indicator lights lighting up on the amp and bass is sweeter than cotton candy.
2) Jensen Iso-Max surprisingly caused hum and when I took it out of the chain, I do get a slight noise but nothing I cannot live with. That part is a little strange as I now have everything including the projector on the same electrical circuit. This part beats me. Thoughts?
3) YPAO single point measurement put everything in + territory except for the sub which it set at -10db. I bumped it to 0.0db. (Will share pic)
4) Gain knob on the Crown is now at 3 o'clock position with input sensitivity at 1.4V
5) Gain knob on Clearbox is at slightly below middle position (Will share pic) with connection to minidsp made with XLR to XLR cable.
6) Minidsp settings are as per your recommendation at 18db slop Butterworth high pass filter at 16Hz and a 24db slope Butterworth low pass filter at 120Hz. I also have PEQ filter set at - 20Hz , .7 Q , 9db boost set in minidsp per your recommendation.

With music, things look up really good. I feel things are a little boom'y and a little lacking in chest thump but that might be due to incorrect settings. Watched a few scenes from John Wick yesterday and it sounded really good. I will await your input on what settings to modify and tune so I get the best out of the setup.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts