AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers for music listening (mostly easy listening, instrumental, new age and soft rock) in my bedroom (small), to be driven by a Harman Kardon DPR-1005. Won't need to play very loudly. My budget is about $150 and I have kinda narrowed it down to two speaker pairs:

1) Athena AS-B2

2) Rocket ELT LRS

Both of them are practically the same price, with the AS-B2 extends lower (50 Hz, vs 65 Hz on the ELT), but the ELT having the advantage (for my small room) of being more compactly sized (higher WAF).

Am wondering if any of you who have listened to both of these speakers can provide some feedbacks as to which one you prefer and why.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I own a pair of ELT LRSs, and I love them. I don't think they'll extend as far down as the Athenas, but I felt that they do everything else better (not an A-B comparison here, so take that with a grain of salt).

I heard their new speakers that are coming out soon, the XLS, and they go for about $200/pair. I like them way more than the ELTs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
have you considered paradigm atoms/titans or energy c1/c3s? or ascends?

I have the As-B2s, and like them a lot. However, I can't tell you what they are like in comparison to the ELTs. I know the rockets have a good reputation around here, so the ELTs should sound very nice. Surely the B2s will extend lower, but that may not be a major advantage. You should be able to audition the B2s to see if you like them.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nhan, why do you like the XLS better than the ELT? How come you have heard them, if they are yet available?

Budgetman, I have heard the AS-B1s, so unless the B2s are very different, I have a good idea how the B2s sound like. Yeah I do like the B1s. As for the Paradigm, Energy and Ascends, I thought they were quite a bit higher than my $150 budget?

·
Registered
28,974 Posts
I see you're in Mtn View. Check your local Good Guys. They were clearing out the Energy C1 for $150/pr. I have the Athena B2 and they're very good for the money also. The Energy is more neutral souding whereas the Athena is a considered bright. Mixed with the HK receiver both should sound good.

You might be able to get Paradigm Atoms for $175 or so. Give them a look too.

On the Audioholics forum the BIC DV 62si is very popular. I've never heard them myself but they seem to be earning plenty bang for the buck on that site.

·
Registered
28,974 Posts
Okay just came back from my local GG. Forget the Energy C-1. The clearance price isn't close to $150 anymore.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Duh, I guess I missed the sale on the Energy C-1s. Where can I find the Paradigm Atoms for $175?

I did look at the BIC DV62si for a while too -- can actually find them for $120 shipped from Amazon. However, it also seems to me like all the people who are raving about it did so after the crossover mod. That's why I am a little hesistant because I am not sure I am willing to go through any speaker mods myself.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpoh
Nhan, why do you like the XLS better than the ELT? How come you have heard them, if they are yet available?

Budgetman, I have heard the AS-B1s, so unless the B2s are very different, I have a good idea how the B2s sound like. Yeah I do like the B1s. As for the Paradigm, Energy and Ascends, I thought they were quite a bit higher than my $150 budget?
The XLS were at the Colorado GTG (an AV123 sponsored event). They were in a different room from the ELTs. There were a ton of other speakers/equipment there, as well. The XLS was one of the highlights of the show.

They sound that much better than the ELTS, IMO.

·
Registered
28,974 Posts
According the the Paradigm website, these are the closest dealers in your area. From everything I'm reading, list price for Atoms is $189. You should be able to negotiate a 10% discount. I don't think Paradigm can be purchased from etailers.

BAY AREA AUDIO

1362 SOUTH DE ANZA BLVD.

SAN JOSE, CA

408-255-0735

SOUND PERFECTION

700 EL CAMINO REAL, STE 180

MENLO PARK, CA

650-323-1000

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow afrogt, thanks for looking up all that info for me, appreciate it. May check them out this weekend if I have time. I did stop by a local Goodguys today by the way, but they didn't have anything small than a C5 as far as the Energy line goes. . . The showroom was mostly filled with Klipsch, with some Mission, a few Energy and Bose speakers.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtut
Nhan, please give a little more info as better than the ELT: clearer mid, brighter high, warmer bass?
Both speakers were driven by different systems, so I wasn't able to do an A/B comparison, but I'm familiar enough with the ELTs to know their characteristics. They are a great value (especially when I got them on sale for $130). But I thought the XLS outperformed it in every way.

The XLS were hooked up to a tube amp system, while the ELTs were hooked up to a Pioneer elite digital receiver/pioneer universal player (588A, I believe). I was sitting off centered during the XLS demos, so I can't comment on the imaging. I seemed that it was a little off, but that's mostly due to my seating position. The ELTs were hooked up for HT theater much of the time at the AV123 GTG, but I was able to demo using my own CDs/DVD-Audio discs.

The XLS outperformed the ELTs in everyway (IMO). The highs were very smooth, yet clear and crisp. The mids were punchy (for a speaker that size), and the lows (above 80 Hz...not sure what the x-over was) was definitely better than the ELTs'. This is because of the 6.5" driver in the XLS vs. a 5.25" driver in the ELT. Also, the speaker cabinet was about 50% bigger for the XLS.

They definitely remind me of the Ascend 170s, one of my favorite speakers. But the XLS will be sold for only $199. Also the XLS was in the same room with a Rocket 760 (new speaker to replace the 750s), and all I could think about was how good the XLS sounded. The 760s, I think, will be sold for about $1200-1400?? Don't get me wrong, they definitely outperform the XLS, but I just couldn't get over how good the XLS sounded.

One of the guys took it off the tube amp and put it onto a digital amp (really slick box that's smaller than a can of Coke) that has about 75W/channel worth of power, and the XLS sounded even clearer than it did with the tube amp. The voice-only (don't know what the correct description is) version of "Tom's Diner" sounded so good. I wish I could have heard the original version to see how well the mids were on the XLS.

·
Registered
28,974 Posts
My local Goodguys had at least 6 sets of C1's in the box. Both in black and maple. But they wanted something like $239-$269 for them. I saw a box of C3's for $250. Didn't make any sense to me. It wasn't that long ago that they were advertising the C1 for $150/pr and C3 $250/pr. Considering they're supposed to be clearing them out, you'd think the price would stay low.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey afrogt I finally had a chance to listen to those Atoms. I thought they sounded a little tiny. To be fair they were set up in a large open area. Unfortunately they are out of Titans so I couldn't compare. I will probably go back in two weeks when they have the Titans back in. Have you heard the Atoms or Titans yourself?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Don't know how much of a hurry you're in, but to second Nhan.... the ONIX XLS monitors were the run away HIT of the recent AV123 show in CO. They got more play and accolades in the forum than any other new offerings coming out. I guess they are AMAZING at their under $200 price point.

They are due to be released (I THINK) in the next 30 days and should be here shortly after that. I would imagine that with "intro" pricing, they will be and even sweeter deal.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quadriverfalls or Nhan, would you guys happen to have any specs for the XLS, especially the dimension and sensitivity? I suppose I am not in a big hurry so I can wait a few more weeks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitpoh
Quadriverfalls or Nhan, would you guys happen to have any specs for the XLS, especially the dimension and sensitivity? I suppose I am not in a big hurry so I can wait a few more weeks.
They aren't out yet, so they're not even on the AV123's website. As for dimensions, they're pretty similar in size to the Ascend 170s, so you can check that website to get a good idea of how big/small the XLS may be. I saw that someone posted that the earliest that they'll start shipping maybe in a month's time? Bradjudy, who owns some ascends, will be the first person to get a pair of XLS. Your best bet is to call AV123 and ask about the specs you're interested in. Also, they were being driven by a 35 Watt/channel tube amp a 70 Watt/channel digital amp. They got pretty loud in that room before we could even hit the half-way mark on either amp's volume knob.

Here's some look at the ones that were at the CO GTG last month. These were just prototypes, so they won't be coming out in that color (not sure if the link will take you to the exact posts with the speakers' pics or not):

http://forum.**********/showthread.ph...g&pagenumber=3

Let's see if I can link you direcly to the pics:

[URL='http:/attachment.php?s=&postid=173487%5B/img']http://forum.**********/attachment.php?s=&postid=173487[/img[/URL] ]

[img] [URL='http:/attachment.php?s=&postid=173490%5B/img']http://forum.**********/attachment.php?s=&postid=173490[/img[/URL] ]

[img] [URL='http:/attachment.php?s=&postid=173491%5B/img']http://forum.**********/attachment.php?s=&postid=173491[/img[/URL] ]

[img] [URL='http:/attachment.php?s=&postid=173492%5B/img']http://forum.**********/attachment.php?s=&postid=173492[/img[/URL] ]

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nhan, cool thanks very much for the links and info. Will give AV123 a call tomorrow to find out the release dates and stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.