AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of Athena AS-F2 speakers that are almost 20 years old.
A few days ago, while I was playing a cd, the bass was very distorted, so I checked the speakers and saw on the left speaker (where most of the music plays), the center domes on both of the woofers were crumbling into pieces. The right speaker is ok with no crumbling., but it also has some distorted bass.

Has anyone else encountered this problem with their speakers?

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
1,685 Posts
All speakers fall apart eventually. So yes.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
It's a common thing with older, cheaper speakers. Sometimes the woofer surround rots out too, especially if it was made of foam. There are sites that sell kits to repair them.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I got my two AS-F2's back in 2004, so they're only 16 years old... now I'm nervous to remove the grill... don't want to see if mine's crumbling

·
Registered
28,726 Posts
I used to have a full set of Athena around the 2004 time frame. Towers, centers and bookshelf speakers. A little bright but good punchy bass. Ended up selling them about 3-4 years later and moved up to Energy RC line. Best Buy used to sell them for cheap.

Had no idea those speaker cones would rot. Unfortunately Athena was discontinued after Klipsch acquired Energy, Athena and Mirage speaker lines. I doubt you'll be able to find OEM replacement parts anymore.

Maybe you can find the speaker cones on eBay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts