AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an Athena ASP-4000. It has a frequency response of like 23-150 hz (+/-3db) and a 100 watt RMS amp. I can get a Klipsch Sub-12 with 300 Watt RMS Bash Amplifier a frequency response of like 24-120 hz (+/-3db) for $200 plus shipping through my job. I was just wondering if the Klipsch would be a big jump or just a small step above my Athena if I sell it on Ebay?

The one thing that scares me is that the Klipsch may not go as deep as the Athena even if it's louder.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Going simply by what you've typed as far as specs, the Klipsch would win hands down. If you can get the Sub-12 for only $200, it is an incredible bargain. A difference from 23Hz and 24Hz will really not make any audible difference. The Sub-12 is good for 650 watt peaks. It will be a very noticeable upgrade.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
I've got the 4000 and really like it, I wouldn't base any upgrade on low extension, The Sub-12 might give you a little more output down low with its larger driver and a little more headroom but imo if you're happy with the 4000 going to the sub-12 wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost.

Since you've already got a good budget sub I'd recommend waiting and add to the upgrade budget when you can until you can get to one of the ED, SVS, HSU or Epik offerings. To me that would be a better upgrade and keep you happier longer. If you're thinking about upgrading now the Sub-12 isn't going to be enough of a difference to keep you from having the same feelings for long. Wait till you can get enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost and go for it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, if I save up, my job may offer deals on subs such as the JBL L8400P, MartinLogan Abyss 12, or Definative Technology Supercube Two 8" at some time the future. I'm also saving up for a 42" Panasonic THX Certified Plasma since my viewing distance in my bedroom is only 5 feet.

Last year several of my coworkers got the Panasonic 50" 700U for $1000 plus shipping. I hope that kind of deal is offered on the THX certified Panasonics this year. Unfortunately these deals happen once in a while and are not available all the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts