AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I moved to a new apartment, and the smaller living room ruled out my wonderful floor standers (plus WAF issues). I'm looking out for small HT setup, and recently bought athena micra from AA. Though they sound great for their size, i'm kinda yearning for a little more fuller sound. I do have a sub, and even with that ON, i cannot shake off the fact that the sound is slightly anemic.

I've read some good reviews about athena ls-100, psb alpha B1, and the new paradigm atom. I'm considering returning the micra, and building a HT setup around one of the three lines above. Athena has the price advantage ($99 a pair @ special), and PSB/Paradigm cost approx the same (~$280 a pair)

Has anyone actually heard these? I'd greatly appreciate any feedback about the sound.

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own a psb Alpha 5.1 system that I am very happy with. I have never listened to the other speakers you mention so I will not comment on those.

The Alpha B1 are excellent speakers without regard to price - phenomenal speakers when price is considered. They have excellent mid range and high detail with decent low end for a bookshelf. I have my crossover set at 80dB and the front sound stage is great.

I do not think you will be disappointed by the Alpha's should you choose to audtion a pair.

BTW - check www.saturdayaudio.com . They are a well regarded psb dealer that has some pretty good deals. I have no personal experience with them, but I have never seen a negative comment about them in the psb owner's thread.

·
Banned
5,183 Posts
Well, Ive got an athena as-p300 sub. Its the only athena speaker Ive ever used so I have no idea how the rest of their line goes. But its a good sub as far as that goes. It wont blow me away but its a good sub for a smaller room. Ive been using it in in the HT room but will be moving it to the living room as Im upgrading to a bigger sub. This post probably didnt help you none what so ever but I just thought Id add its a good sub for its price range, so maybe the rest of their line is as well. But who knows really? Now wheres my beer!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, folks.

There are two PSB dealers listed in dallas, and both don't answer their phones
So looks like i'll have to buy these unheard as well. Its been such a long time since i've actually been to a dealer and listened to speakers before shelling money out. Maybe thats the reason why i've not gotten off the audio merry go round yet

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacophonix /forum/post/12973598

Thanks for the input, folks.

There are two PSB dealers listed in dallas, and both don't answer their phones
So looks like i'll have to buy these unheard as well. Its been such a long time since i've actually been to a dealer and listened to speakers before shelling money out. Maybe thats the reason why i've not gotten off the audio merry go round yet

Some audio companies, because they don't have much movement on Monday's and Tuesday's close those days, but open Saturday and Sunday. See if they answer today. Anyways, my experience has been that www.saturdayaudio.com has the best price on PSB.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Same issue here, i'm buying a secondary setup, and didn't have much luck with the dealers in Dallas. There used to be a dealer that actually had them setup, but they're no longer in business (and last time I was there, they were clearing out their PSB stuff).

I may end up buying them sight unseen as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, i tried calling them again, no response.

I called saturday audio as well .. they don't have any specials running for alpha B1/C1. So i think i'll just hold on to the micra 6 until i come across a deal on alpha B1/C1/LR1.

For now, the micra 6 + 4100 sub puts out decent music for just $300 + shipping!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts