AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i can get the athena with the p300 sub for $500 canadian or the fluance for $450 without a sub.

i was thinking in the future adding some athena floorstanders to make a 7.1 system or adding a sub and surrounds to do the same with the fluance.

any opinions?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Either way works. The Athena floorstanders are probably better than the Fluance fronts, thinking down the road...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i just did some more shopping and i dont know about upgrading to athena floorstanders too soon. AS-f1.2's for $550 is $50 more than the entire 6 pieces!

so on that note, how do you think they may stack up on as is? do you think the fluance sx-htb is as good without the sub as the 6-piece athena's?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
I'd just be guessing, haven't heard either. Both have lots of fans. I'd want a sub with the fluance too. I don't know about Canada, but I've seen much better pricing for the F1s ~ $250/pr(US). So if you wait, you might catch a deal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swirvin
well i just did some more shopping and i dont know about upgrading to athena floorstanders too soon. AS-f1.2's for $550 is $50 more than the entire 6 pieces!

so on that note, how do you think they may stack up on as is? do you think the fluance sx-htb is as good without the sub as the 6-piece athena's?
Those are real high prices, shop around just like ron said and youll catch a deal easy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i should have mentioned that those are canadian $$$ and unfortunately catching a deal here is next to impossible.

the athena point 5's with the p300 sub are regular priced at $1000 PLUS 15% tax.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Crazy canadian funny money, yes I heard its hard for canadians to get canadian speakers.... Kinda funny, but understandable because most of the market is for the US.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
or would a package of 2 AS-B1's, 2 surround AS-R1's and a center AS-C1 for $329.99 reg.729.99 Canadian be a better deal?

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Better speakers probably, better deal if you can get another pair of B1s for a reasonalble price like $100C later :) I'd jump on it. With a decent sub the B1s will sound better than the Pt.5 and probably the Fluance too.

Everyone says about the Fluance, good build quality, nice sound, with the caveat, for the money. I wonder how they offer decent components for their package prices. This is no knock. I just wonder how.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont know how they do it either ron. id love to see them in person though. i really, really want floorstanding fronts but i may not be able to pass up those athena's at $329 with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJLaletas
Crazy canadian funny money, yes I heard its hard for canadians to get canadian speakers.... Kinda funny, but understandable because most of the market is for the US.
Not true. I can purchase ANY Canadian made speaker within 100 miles driving distance.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Not true. I can purchase ANY Canadian made speaker within 100 miles driving distance
true but nearly impossible to anything close to the deals you can usually find in the states.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
I scored two F-1's on Ebay two weeks ago for $113.62. Mint condition, only used for a couple of hours.

There's nothing like full-range floorstanders.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
unfortunately catching a deal here is next to impossible.
that's not true, all you need to do is find someone selling them on eBay that will ship to Canada, bying anything like that direct in Canada is crazy with places like eBay...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Quote:
so like i said, trying to find a deal IN canada is next to impossible.
Don't kid yourself. Its no different here than the states. I've gotten PLENTY of good deals on audio equipment over the years.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
im not kidding. sure i can go into a local mom and pop shop and get a few hundred bucks off a system but im talking about deals that i see almost everyday on amazon, best buy, parts express, etc..... you know, AMERICAN online sites.

have you ever come across any across canada online stores? and no, futureshop does not count!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.