AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
futureshop.ca has the athena mk 2's reg. $1000 on sale for $500 so they'd be in the same price range now as the fluance.

id still need stands for the athenas but they also come with a sub (asp-300) which the fluance's dont. i've read plenty about the fluances but not so much about the mk2's.

any opinions?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, you could get the Fluance and Dayton 10" from PE (which will outperform the Athena sub), and still save a wee bit. I'd go that route if you have adequate space.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
12andy, i see your from toronto. have u ordered from PE before? just wondering what that heavy sub would come to after shipping and duties.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Another thought. The Athena MK system is widely available for $200 online (ie Amazon), without the sub. I went that way because I heard a lot of people didnt really love the AS-p300, which is an 8" sub and somewhat underpowered (at least for large rooms). That gives you $300 to play with to get a sub thats better. Probably the Dayton (10 or 12) or maybe the Acoustech HT-100 would be good choices...

Steve

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i should have mentioned these were canadian $$$ and even if i wanted to amazon will not ship speakers to canada.

i am extremely limited in buying an entry level system here. best buy, futureshop or fluance are pretty much my choices for $500-$600 speakers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, scrap the athena mkII's. i just found a package of athena a pair of AS-B1's, an AS-C1 and a pair of surround AS-R1's for $329.99 Canadian. no sub but i'll deal with that later.

so now im comparing this setup to the fluance sx-htb. now what do you think?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn, the package of b1's, r1's and the c1 is sold out!!! just as i made up my mind to get them.

now i dont want to go back to the mkII's :(

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah I've ordered from PE before, although it wasn't any of the Tinies, but rather the Quatro 15" driver and 240w amp plate. Both came to around $280 (shipping included), with an additional $87.11 for customs fees. Not very good, I know, but it was still cheaper than ordering say, an XLS 12" driver from that Montreal place (can't remember the name).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.