AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an Onkyo receiver and speakers about 6 months ago everything setup and working but i really dont like the sound on these things and by sound i mean music. I have it all hooked up using HDMI to TV, PS3 cable box and pc.

Watching movie and playing games it sounds great but i when i listen to music it sound pretty horrible.

My set up

Samsung 52" 6 series

Onkyo 705 Receiver

Athena WS100 front, WS60 center and WS15 rears + Athena 4100 Sub

Any help or ideas of what setting i should use

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
29,186 Posts
Those thin flat panel type speakers are more aimed at home theater than music.

You may have to replace your Athenas to get a better musical experience.

Did you run the Audyssey EQ calibration feature on your onkyo? Also what listening mode are you using? Any of the pro logic or dts:neo6 modes will alter the sound of stereo recordings. Try regular stereo using just the WS-100s and sub.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
First what type of music do you listen to? Why does it not sound right? (Bass weak, Mids thin, etc.)

Run the Audyssey program in a DEAD silent room. Also do all of the seating positions available. This can take 30-45 minutes to complete but is WELL worth the effort.

Where is the cross-over set in the 705? It should be at 80 or 100. Make sure Audyssey sets all of your speakers to small. If you don't like, that try the Double Bass option which sets your fronts to full range.

I listen to music with the Pure Audio selection. This keeps the signal untouched. I hate Stereo because it really changes the sound. Some people like DSPs, I don't

I hope this helps. Let us know. There are a lot of Onkyo 705 and 805 owners in here. Someone might even have your set-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you guys i did the callibration a while ago but try that again. I listen to rock, jazz, house and it just doesn have that crisp clear sound that i hear when i watch movies. I will check my settings when i get home today and see if that will make a diffience. Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi ccobka, don't mean to hijack your thread, but I was wondering would you recommend the athena's set up you have for someone who would just use it for movies, tv, and games? Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts